• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help with founding stage for Myrmecocystus mimicus and Myrmecocystus yuma queens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ariaant - Posted July 27 2019 - 10:20 PM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Hello all,

I just recently caught about 10 or so Myrmecocystus mimicus and a couple of possible Myrmecocystus Yuma queens.  From reading the journals, it appears they have a high mortality during the founding stage and do well in dirt set ups. I hope to put the best looking queens in a handful of dirt boxes, but I don't really have room to put them all in dirt boxes.  The rest will probably have to go into test tubes.  Has anyone had experience with them in test tubes? Do they do best with soil in the test tubes?  If so how much?  

Any advice on how to get through the founding stage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 27 2019 - 10:54 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

The ones in test tubes can have sand/dirt/clay thrown in with them and it can be as much as you want.  It's mostly to help the larvae pupate and spin their cocoons.

#3 Offline ariaant - Posted July 28 2019 - 2:17 PM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

The ones in test tubes can have sand/dirt/clay thrown in with them and it can be as much as you want.  It's mostly to help the larvae pupate and spin their cocoons.

Thanks for the input; all the queens in tubes have some dirt from where i found the queens.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users