• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Discothyrea testacea

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 10 2019 - 10:11 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I finally have collected a small colony of this species.  Has anyone on this forum kept this species.  I currently have a couple of species of Proceratium and have been feeding them the eggs of the American House Spider which they readily take.  So if you, the reader, has or is currently keeping Discothyrea testacea please share some of your experience with this cryptic species.

• gcsnelling, Canadian anter, VoidElecent and 6 others like this

#2 Offline GooglyBlox - Posted July 10 2019 - 10:18 AM

GooglyBlox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIrvine, California. Argentine central of the world.
This is quoted from a website: “Katherine Driscoll was still a high school student when she started working in the Dunn Lab. She was assigned the impossible task of collecting a colony of a rare ant, Discothyrea testacea, which appears to eat only spider eggs (though, truth be told, no one really knows). She was thrilled to find several individuals on NCSU campus (right behind the Biology Dept. building), but these were all dead. By using a simple technique she developed for collecting live ants, Katherine found a living specimen of Discothyrea testacea. This discovery made Katherine one of the first people ever to see this rare species of ant alive under the microscope! Katherine is now a sophomore at NCSU, and is continuing to conduct research as part of the School of Ants team.”

You are a very lucky person to find this species!

Edited by GooglyBlox, July 10 2019 - 10:19 AM.

• PurdueEntomology and Ants_Dakota like this

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 10 2019 - 5:04 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

The colony I collected clearly had spider eggs collected similar to how Proceratium have been found with piled spider eggs.  Also some of the larvae just like in Proceratium have placed larvae on the eggs for consumption.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 10 2019 - 6:03 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Just curious how do you get your spider eggs? I'd be interested in keeping proceratium silaceum if my supplier can find any.

Edited by Manitobant, July 10 2019 - 6:04 PM.

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 11 2019 - 3:09 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

The common American House Spider is found in basements, windowsills, etc.  Very very common.  Just find egg sacks that are new with early stage eggs.  I usually find the egg sacs which the mother spider is attached too or next to usually has eggs suitable for feeding the ants.

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 11 2019 - 6:27 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Incredible. Best of luck. Don't know anything about Discothyrea, but I wouldn't be surprised if the little guys really like humidity.

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 12 2019 - 12:09 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Interesting this colony was found under duff of rock outcrop that I would find Solenopsis/Crematogaster/Aphaenogaster/Hyperponera so nothing different then these common genera.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 13 2019 - 6:52 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Do you think that they(Proceratium and Discothyrea) would accept Brown Widow eggs?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 13 2019 - 12:44 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I have noticed in keeping my Proceratium that the eggs cannot be too large so for example most wolf spider eggs are too large so they will ignore them, but the egg of the American House Spider are just right in size, the eggs of the Black Widow are too large too, fyi.  So spiders of smaller size would have to used.  

#10 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 15 2019 - 2:01 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I am experimenting with different ant genera eggs as possible foods for this ant along with termite eggs.  

#11 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted July 15 2019 - 2:28 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

pics?

#12 Offline Canadant - Posted July 15 2019 - 4:04 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Yeah...pics please. These sound cool.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#13 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 17 2019 - 7:17 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I found a 2nd colony today and collected them.  I will purchase a macro lense for my iphone and take some pics of the colony.  Since I have found two colonies in the past week I am beginning to think the species is more common.  I also have found them in the same type of environments so I will take a picture of where the colony was collected from here.  There was a large stash of spider or some other eggs with the colony along with the brood of the ants themselves. 

• Martialis and TennesseeAnts like this

#14 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 17 2019 - 3:13 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
Discothyrea

So in this photo are: the ants, pupae [mostly reproductives it seems], the gyne is at 2'oclock in the photo the others are workers.  The small orbs are an arthropod egg they have collected it seems as food, though I am not sure what, but most likely spider.  I added the first gyne I collected because she lost her workers and she has been accepted into this colony.  Now the task of keeping them alive, it will be a challenge.  I will get some better photos soon.  

Edited by PurdueEntomology, July 17 2019 - 3:15 PM.

• gcsnelling and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#15 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 17 2019 - 3:22 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

If they are anything like Proceratium then they should not be difficult to keep, I think the trick will be to find small spiders with eggs but I am also finding out that my Proceratium will take spring tail eggs as I have a one container with ants and springtails together then the ants have been collecting spring tail eggs.  

• gcsnelling and Canadian anter like this

#16 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 20 2019 - 7:34 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Today I offered the colony some freshly laid eggs of a Pheidole dealate I had recently collected and which has laid a batch of eggs.  The Discothyrea inspected them then collected them and added them to their food-egg pile.  So now I am more confident that this species may be housed.  

#17 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 21 2019 - 5:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

you seem to have the best of luck. first you keep neivamyrmex alive, and now this... hats off to you

#18 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 21 2019 - 11:29 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Ponerinecat, thank you for the kind words, I would say persistence and curiosity drive my attempts.  I will say though I find this species so interesting and, to seem almost adolescent,  "cute".  I hope to get a male alate if the pupae eclose as that would be really great as not too many of them have been collected.  I am taking observational notes on them too as their behavior seems to be mostly inferential in nature, based on their similarity to Proceratium. I am wondering if they are myrmecooviphagous [neologism ?] in nature.  A question I have is how do they procure spider eggs for example as most spiders protect their eggs with silk casings etc.  Most centipedes guard their eggs as to ants but I could see this species as an egg thief though. I just have these questions about them.  

#19 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 21 2019 - 11:36 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Poneriencat, I have my sights set on one species: Stigmatomma trigonignathum.  I plan on taking a weekend camping trip to North Carolina where I believe it is distributed specifically to try to find this species and hopefully a colony, so if Lady Luck has been with me so far, perhaps she will smile on me for this species. 

• gcsnelling and TennesseeAnts like this

#20 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 23 2019 - 5:38 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ponerinecat, thank you for the kind words, I would say persistence and curiosity drive my attempts.  I will say though I find this species so interesting and, to seem almost adolescent,  "cute".  I hope to get a male alate if the pupae eclose as that would be really great as not too many of them have been collected.  I am taking observational notes on them too as their behavior seems to be mostly inferential in nature, based on their similarity to Proceratium. I am wondering if they are myrmecooviphagous [neologism ?] in nature.  A question I have is how do they procure spider eggs for example as most spiders protect their eggs with silk casings etc.  Most centipedes guard their eggs as to ants but I could see this species as an egg thief though. I just have these questions about them.  

They seem to chew through the egg sack. One African species has been found founding in egg sacks and using the gynes gaster to block the original entrance hole.  As for being cute, I think everyone agrees. They're called disco ants for a reason.

Edited by ponerinecat, July 23 2019 - 5:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users