• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium immigrans:Brood boost in founding Experiment

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted July 10 2019 - 5:24 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Ok, so I obtained a Tetramorium queen during one of their nuptial flights and I decided I'd conduct a small experiment with her. A bit of background, I don't normally keep the "basic" ants, I tend to only keep them for experiments or if another species needs their brood, workers, etc. I tend to keep cryptic ants and more experienced species, for example, Stigmatomma pallipes and Trachymyrmex sept. Anyway, back to my experiment, so, I decided to brood boost her with almost eclosed pupa from a wild colony to see how that would impact her egg laying when she starts (this is before she layed any eggs). The workers eclosed and the queen started egglaying. I was surprised by the sheer amount of eggs she produced! I added maybe 20 brood boosted pupa and now I'm at over 100 workers strong in 4-5 weeks since I got her. Not only that, but I've got probably another 200 coming before next week! I decided to share this to any new ant keepers who want a larger colony faster in a few short weeks. I'm going to do updates on this colony as they continue to grow. Also, I've never seen anyone brood boost Tetramoriums in their founding stage so I thought this would be something cool to add. 

Edited by VenomousBeast, July 10 2019 - 5:25 AM.

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 10 2019 - 5:42 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I did this with a 2 queen colony back in 2017. I had about 5 boosted workers, and they were heated, so 3 weeks from then and I had well over 80 workers and lots of brood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users