• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why this attitude?!

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 30 2017 - 7:38 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I think I just hate people in general and those that I like are the exception. I try to keep an open mind and to value the opinions of others, even if we disagree. But sometimes I just can't get over how vile and despicable people can be. For example, while on a field trip, I kayaked to a small, remote sandbar with several other students and a biology teacher near the mouth of the Connecticut river. Upon arrival, we collected samples and talked about the local fauna and flora, some of which were quite unique and interesting. While traveling along the sandbar, one of the students noticed a small jellyfish about 5-6 meters away from us, trapped in the shallows. He then proceeded to break a stick off of a nearby piece of driftwood and walk over to it in order to stab it and eviscerate it. He then proceeded to smear its viscera across the beach and stomp its remains into the ground. when asked why he did so, he replied in a emotionless, careless manner : "It could of hurt us. I had to kill it first!!! its only a jellyfish!!! who gives a f#@k!!!". Several other classmates joined him in killing several fish, countless jellyfish and other small animals throughout the course of the trip. In most cases the teacher was well aware but legally couldn't do much to intervene. Later while eating lunch, he walked over to me and whispered into my ear that he would kill every last ant that he saw on the island simply to make me reach my boiling point. As you can imagine, I gave him what he deserved. Everyone left me behind and I kayaked back to the harbor alone.

Wow... That is just pure ***holeism.

• ctantkeeper and Martialis like this

YJK

#42 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 30 2017 - 7:40 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

You think that would be a story from when I was younger, but that happened this year. Most of my classmates and I are 18!!!!!

#43 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 30 2017 - 8:05 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I think I just hate people in general and those that I like are the exception. I try to keep an open mind and to value the opinions of others, even if we disagree. But sometimes I just can't get over how vile and despicable people can be. For example, while on a field trip, I kayaked to a small, remote sandbar with several other students and a biology teacher near the mouth of the Connecticut river. Upon arrival, we collected samples and talked about the local fauna and flora, some of which were quite unique and interesting. While traveling along the sandbar, one of the students noticed a small jellyfish about 5-6 meters away from us, trapped in the shallows. He then proceeded to break a stick off of a nearby piece of driftwood and walk over to it in order to stab it and eviscerate it. He then proceeded to smear its viscera across the beach and stomp its remains into the ground. when asked why he did so, he replied in a emotionless, careless manner : "It could of hurt us. I had to kill it first!!! its only a jellyfish!!! who gives a f#@k!!!". Several other classmates joined him in killing several fish, countless jellyfish and other small animals throughout the course of the trip. In most cases the teacher was well aware but legally couldn't do much to intervene. Later while eating lunch, he walked over to me and whispered into my ear that he would kill every last ant that he saw on the island simply to make me reach my boiling point. As you can imagine, I gave him what he deserved. Everyone left me behind and I kayaked back to the harbor alone.

WARNING: The following is a rant in which I agree with CTAntkeeper, except for the fact about hating humans. I don't even hate bullies, etc.

This shows how cruel some humans are. One day, the only humans surviving will be the ones who appreciate each other and all other life. 
I never kill the organisms I hate (some fungi, mites, and a few weird bugs), but some people think that people should kill EVERY SINGLE ANIMAL that threatens them a little bit. If pandas killed humans, we would still love them more than bugs just because they are "cute and fluffy". That may be a reason why I don't really like pandas :P.

For example, once some whiny kid was showing off about how he threw bricks at a swarm of honeybees. I asked why and he said it was because he was allergic to bee stings. So?! Just because some animals could hurt you (you could even get some medicine to help with the sting effect) that doesn't mean you KILL them all! Compare the injuries of one human to the deaths of hundreds of bees.

Also, everyone is talking about driving mosquitoes to extinction. Seriously?! Mosquitoes are actually quite beneficial pollinators (females only drink blood for protein for their eggs) and are important foods for many animals. Thank god that I have some friends that agree with what I think. I thought I was alone for a while :).

Also, there is talk of introducing Phorid flies to fire ant infested spots. Simply don't. Really? Phorid flies couldn't really care less about what ant they kill, from aggressive alien ants to native ant species. Simply trying to remove one species but killing many others isn't really worth it.

Also, once I saw a couple of girls throwing rocks at a baby snake(in Ohio, because the blind snake babies in Hawaii never seem to emerge. It was already bloody and dying) . I asked why and they said that it had bitten a squirrel's tail. I couldn't believe that they thought that a nonpoisonous queen snake that was at least 1/4th the size of an average squirrel could cause any harm to a tiny little queen snake. I shooed them away and took the poor thing home. Sadly, despite my efforts to bandage it (I was 6, don't blame me for not recognizing proper reptile medicine techniques) it bled to death.

There you have it. My crazy rant (this is not supposed to be a pun, but it actually looks a lot like "My crazy ant"). I hope that this doesn't offend some of you. 
Also, CtAntkeeper, I love jellyfish. Are they common there? I'm probably going to keep an aquarium of them when I move to CT.

• Martialis likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#44 Offline Leo - Posted January 30 2017 - 10:01 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

too bad, did you leave him stranded on the island? i would have given him plenty of time to kill some ants

#45 Offline Leo - Posted January 30 2017 - 10:06 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

in my class is a girl who said she loves all animals, even snakes and those. on sports day, i dug up a pachycondyla queen from its nest. i yelled "Queen!" at which she stomps over and swats the ant off my palm.she lectures me and tells me to release the ants. she walks up to the queen, which she "accidentally" decapitates with her foot, sending its body flying into the gutter. i told that her she killed it and her reaction was "that @#!% ant was going to die anyways"

#46 Offline Serafine - Posted January 31 2017 - 1:29 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Most people who call themselves animal friends have ZERO clue about their environment (and they don't give a [censored] about it either). They free cute little packages of fur because they're cute little packages of fur and place them into the nearby forest where they embark on a blood orgy massacring the native bird species...

Edited by dspdrew, May 9 2017 - 10:21 AM.

• Martialis, Connectimyrmex and TestSubjectOne like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#47 Offline Roachant - Posted January 31 2017 - 6:10 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

The teacher in charge of that group should be fired. Immediately. There is no way a decent teacher would allow any of that to go on especially a biology teacher! And seriously, the student that whispered that to you sounds like he is a psychopath. He needs to be checked out.
  • Martialis likes this

#48 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 31 2017 - 7:40 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

The teacher in charge of that group should be fired. Immediately. There is no way a decent teacher would allow any of that to go on especially a biology teacher! And seriously, the student that whispered that to you sounds like he is a psychopath. He needs to be checked out.

I actually disagree with that. I should have specified that the teacher did do EVERYTHING she could of done (she threatened them with detentions, told them to stop, etc), but it didn't phase them. The teacher, I had for that class was deeply disturbed by their actions but couldn't do much to stop them. And yes, the kid that did that has proven to me to be borderline psychopathic. He makes sexual towards towards female teachers / harasses them constantly (he is extremely sexist and perverted) and shouts random nonsense at the top of his lungs in every class I have him in. That guy can go F$#k himself for all I care.

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 31 2017 - 7:54 AM.

• Martialis likes this

#49 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 31 2017 - 7:44 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I actually disagree with that. I should have specified that the teacher did do EVERYTHING she could of done (she threatened them with detentions, told them to stop, etc), but it didn't phase them. The teacher, I had for that class was deeply disturbed by their actions but couldn't do much to stop them. And yes, the kid that did that has proven to me to be borderline psychopathic. He makes sexual towards towards female teachers / harasses them constantly and shouts random nonsense at the top of his lungs in every class I have him in. That guy can go F$#k himself for all I care.

There are also a variety of other students that hang out with him that also has some unusual "quirks". one shouts bible quotes in class (specifically when we cover subjects such as natural selection and evolution in biology class), the other pretends to have sex while making loud / obnoxious moaning noises in class (he once dry-humped the back of my desk) and another throws food / pencils / water bottles at the back of my head while I work!!!! I can't wait for my freshmen year of college.

Edited by ctantkeeper, January 31 2017 - 7:54 AM.

#50 Offline Roachant - Posted January 31 2017 - 10:54 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Oops didn't realize the teacher tried that hard!
It's scary to see how certain kids are these days. To think they are the future.
i hope you do t have too much time left there ctantkeeper!

#51 Offline Reevak - Posted January 31 2017 - 12:05 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Reading all of these stories made me a little upset. I can't understand why people go out of their way to hurt, kill, or torture an animal for no good reason. Mind boggling. One of my friends said that they were going to kill all the ants that they saw (because I was talking about how interesting ants were when I was just learning about ant keeping), so I made them feel bad for saying it by referring to their religion and how it prohibited such an act (note that I do not hate any religion, I was merely using it to stop this person from killing ants for no reason, which was against their religion, they just didn't know). It still upsets me that they said it though. I mean your friend likes ants, why would it make sense to then go out of your way to kill them? I can't even comprehend it.

#52 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted January 31 2017 - 12:58 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Oops didn't realize the teacher tried that hard!
It's scary to see how certain kids are these days. To think they are the future.
i hope you do t have too much time left there ctantkeeper!

It's fine, people make mistakes (As this thread testifies to lol). And don't worry, I will be out of here in june :)

#53 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 16 2017 - 11:19 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Zoosadism. Scary stuff.

#54 Offline Serafine - Posted August 16 2017 - 12:45 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
It starts with animals. We all know the next stop.
That kid needs psychiatric treatment before it gets released onto society.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#55 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 16 2017 - 2:09 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

(Post was deleted by user)

Edited by ctantkeeper, August 16 2017 - 2:09 PM.

#56 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 16 2017 - 2:13 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

? :thinking:

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#57 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 16 2017 - 2:22 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Yeah, I agree with Serafine, but I worry more so about how this mentality affects how the general (and frankly uneducated) populus sees the world and the natural resources it houses. We shouldn't protect nature and wildlfe because we are told we have to and only that, but rather we should desire to protect our home so that future generations could marvel at the tremendous variety of flora and fauna that lives upon it in addition to assuring the existence of future generations. We should care about the european honey bee because it is an amazing marvel of evolution and natural selection that has much to teach us, not just its importance to human agriculture and honey production. everything from the smallest bacterium to the largest blue whale plays a role. The faster we recognize this, the better.

#58 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 16 2017 - 2:24 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

? :thinking:

Yeah, I had quoted and commented on someone else's comments before realizing that I had done so a while ago. I didn't know how to delete the post, so I just put this ^^^. my bad.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#59 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:13 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
It is a proven fact that if all the insects were to die off overnight, all other living organisms would die anyway. Bees pollinate pur crops, flies get rid of our garbage, and many insects actually feed some people. If it were not for arthropods, we would be swimming in stool right now and we'd all be starving.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#60 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 17 2017 - 9:06 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I have to admit, I hate cats. Not all cats. I only hate stray cats.

• FeedTheAnts likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi