• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why this attitude?!

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Offline William. T - Posted March 18 2015 - 12:04 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Save the Bald Eagle ! Save the Manatee! Save this animal that isn't even endangered and is becoming a plague! I swear, even if some ant was Critically Endangered on the IUCN list, some people would not hesitate to spray a colony of that species with Raid!

Today, some guy flipped over a stone and there was some ants under it. So what did everyone do? They stepped on them! Played hopscotch on the nest! And some freaks even played a game where they aimed at the ants with pebbles! Insane! And guess what? One of the girls doing this was a "devoted animal right's activists." She has all these pets, got all pissed at me because of a joke I made about eating dogs despite the fact I don't (I'm Chinese), and even she was busy stepping on them! :( The species wasn't even a pest! People these days!

• Nick0809, Martialis, Connectimyrmex and 2 others like this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 18 2015 - 12:17 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I know! I always cringe when someone steps on a queen ant!

• Aquaexploder likes this

#3 Offline dermy - Posted March 18 2015 - 12:59 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Or when they wait for the nuptial flight and pour lighter fluid on a nest that is about to fly and light it up :(

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2015 - 1:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think a lot of the so called animal rights activists are really just as ignorant as most people.

• BugFinder and SamKeepsAnts like this

#5 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 18 2015 - 2:34 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

True! Many people are like that. So sad :( .

#6 Offline William. T - Posted March 18 2015 - 2:35 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Wait. People actually ants when they are having a nuptial flight? :( Isn't that illegal? B.T.W , there weren't any queens in there. Looked like a satellite nest, though.

Edited by William. T, March 18 2015 - 4:56 PM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 18 2015 - 9:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I saw some kids stick a stink beetle into a peanut butter cup today because they were to afraid to step on it... They still got what they were avoiding. :lol:

• AntsTexas likes this

#8 Offline Etherwulf - Posted March 18 2015 - 10:02 PM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

People generally prefer more cuddly animals when choosing an animal to plaster on their protest signs and their social media pages. 

You see, slogans like "Save the Lord Howe Island Stick Insect" don't have as much universal appeal as a picture of cute bears in cages. That's why you don't see many people advocating for the giant stick insect while giant pandas have their own international fan clubs. 

Often, people who claim to be for animal rights don't apply consistency in their beliefs. And funnily enough, these people have no qualms about exterminating endangered non-cuddly insects while liking facebook advocacy pages or telling everyone to avoid certain cosmetic products because of animal experimentation. 

Haven't you heard? The bee population is in rapid decline and with that the agriculture industry will too, eventually. Honey bees are responsible for $30 billion a year in crops and pollinate 70 of the around 100 crop species that feed 90% of the world. What's worse is that many of these hypocrites still exterminate beehives without remorse. 

Are people caring enough about the bees and the consequences of their possible extinction on us? No.

Are people caring about the pandas and their minute roles in the ecosystem because they are cuddly and furry? Heck yes!

If you can't apply consistency in your beliefs, at least skew your priorities to the animals that if extinct, will have dire consequences for our own species.

Edited by Etherwulf, March 19 2015 - 2:52 AM.

• dspdrew, Gregory2455, BugFinder and 3 others like this

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 18 2015 - 10:52 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah... Very true. (Off topic but bees are very fluffy and cute looking, but I guess that's just an opinion.) I am surprised that the bee population decline actually has as much attention as it does. (I have heard people actually talking about it...)

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 18 2015 - 11:40 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

You're so right on that Etherwulf.  Animal rights activists actually do very little to help animals, they just make alot of noise...  

Hunters, do much more than animal rights activists ever have preserve habitat, fund research, all kinds of things that help animals.  

The animal rights crowd is a fraud.

• William. T likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#11 Offline Silvak - Posted March 19 2015 - 4:52 AM

Silvak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA

I've always considered animal rights and conservation to be two separate things. I've found that animal rights tends to be about treating animals humanely and ending emotional and physical abuse. The focus is on the individual and tends to go no further than that. Conservation tends to be about protecting a species for the future, preserving natural habitat, sustainable practices with natural resources, and such. The focus is much broader, with a mind for tomorrow, and usually science based. I know I'm probably splitting hairs but it's how I filter out the myriad piles of garbage one can so easily step into in life.

• Nick0809 and TestSubjectOne like this

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2015 - 5:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think you're probably right.

#13 Offline Crystals - Posted March 19 2015 - 6:31 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Haven't you heard? The bee population is in rapid decline and with that the agriculture industry will too, eventually. Honey bees are responsible for $30 billion a year in crops and pollinate 70 of the around 100 crop species that feed 90% of the world. What's worse is that many of these hypocrites still exterminate beehives without remorse. 

Are people caring enough about the bees and the consequences of their possible extinction on us? No.

Bees pollinate my garden and I am happy to have them.  I have considered building a bee box, but lack a safe place to put it.

I will admit that we carefully inspect all locations by the house for yellow jacket or bald faced hornet nests the first few weeks of spring and knock down any new nests within days of them being started (they usually have less than 3 brood cells).  The queen flies off to rebuild elsewhere.  But yellow jackets and hornets are too aggressive to leave near the house - you only have to walk within 10 feet of a larger nest, or use a loud power tool nearby, to get attacked.  We don't care about the honey bee or bumble bee nests and happily leave them, you have to disturb them pretty good to provoke an attack.  I even trimmed the grass that was starting to block the entrance of a nest of a large bumble bee species under our shed.

Last year was a bad year for bees here though, with that false spring that brought the queens out and then froze hard and killing many.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#14 Offline Nick0809 - Posted March 19 2015 - 6:15 PM

Nick0809

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

people are sad. :(

#15 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 20 2015 - 12:59 AM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

And yet, despite all of the killing, Ants are still one of the most successful insects on the planet, with a biomass that accounts for 15-20% of all terrestrial animals according to Entomologist, Ted R. Schultz.

• BugFinder, Nick0809 and TestSubjectOne like this
IMG 5858

#16 Offline Nick0809 - Posted March 20 2015 - 11:38 AM

Nick0809

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

And yet, despite all of the killing, Ants are still one of the most successful insects on the planet, with a biomass that accounts for 15-20% of all terrestrial animals according to Entomologist, Ted R. Schultz.

ha ha true. :)

#17 Offline Nick0809 - Posted March 20 2015 - 11:41 AM

Nick0809

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You're so right on that Etherwulf.  Animal rights activists actually do very little to help animals, they just make alot of noise...  

Hunters, do much more than animal rights activists ever have preserve habitat, fund research, all kinds of things that help animals.  

The animal rights crowd is a fraud.

yeah. PETA and those other groups just make a lot of noise and rated R TV commercials. if they want to save animals, why are 90% of all animals in their shelters dead?

• BugFinder likes this

#18 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 20 2015 - 5:00 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well, PETA DOES kill more animals than it saved.

But it isn't only them. Take petco and petsmart or even shelters. Me and my wife tried adopting a kitten from both petco and petsmart (btw, good luck finding a tabby cat online, its literally impossible...the shelters have that in the money bag)

But petsmart denied us. When our mom asked why, the lady was really rude...forgot what she said...(this was over the phone), mom said something back and lady hung up (the lady slammed the phone I guess and mom laughed about it lol). Probably because we don't go to a vet every month (I don't believe an animal or person needs to go to the hospital every month for thousands of shots. Rabies and the basics, yes...and even measle shots I think are important for people...but not 1000 different things going into the cat/kitten). On top of that, petsmart will likely deny anyone (it was actually an adoption through a shelter) who lives in an apartment...that was a big negative for us.

So petsmart/petco/shelter will deny 90% of the people trying to adopt (and more likely anyone in an apartment). And every animal that doesn't get adopted gets killed...so do the math

90% of people are refused and treated horribly. Can't adopt tabby cats at all online. And nearly all of them end up dead. Yet they decline almost everyone. And they probably outlawed adopting tabbies from your next door neighbor or online (you used to find kittens really easily in kids having baskets of them. That does NOT happen anymore, at least in california).

We ended up going through a cat breeder and adopting exotic wild cats (we got two, one is mixed with who knows what...probably a bobcat or tiger or lion or some weird thing. He is supposed to be a bengal, but he is HUGE (growing super fast still) and acts just like a tiger or some kind of wild cat would act like. He even likes running out in the rain and splashing in puddles) and we then adopted a desert lynx cat from another breeder about 6 months later. We'd go with a normal tabby cat, but that is impossible because of the money laundering garbage that shelters have become. Though breeders are a bit iffy. Like our "bengal" is probably mixed with some kind of exotic wild cat, as the lady had TONS of exotic wild animals. Like she had a zebra mixed with donkey that she bred. She had exotic birds, lions, tigers and all kinds of stuff. She even had a camel mixed with zebra, literally no joke. She had a horse mixed with a zebra too I think, don't remember. I know she mixed animals a lot. It was an animal sanctuary, run by volunteers. But the "bengal" is probably something else, or is a bengal mixed with some kind of exotic wild cat. She was breeding super exotic weird mixed animals...so wouldn't be a surprise she bred an exotic mixed weird wild cat.

shelters in california and going through petco/petsmart is really lame though. Going through breeders, you don't have to deal with mountains of paper work (literally trying to adopt a kitten from a shelter/petsmart etc is like doing a highschool exit exam. No joke, our dad had to fill out 20 (yes TWENTY) papers of questions and stuff before he finished to give it back to them. That and the breeders we went too, didn't need to contact the apartment complex either for permission...which is a HUGE plus for us as no way do we want to pay 1000 dollar per cat per month pet rent...heck with that. That was probably the main issue is we live in an apartment, and we didn't want them contacting the apartments. Still really lame. End up with mostly dead animals, and very few people get accepted to have a kitten.

So I know this topic isn't entirely about that. But you guys get my point...even shelters who "protect" animals end up killing most of them because they refuse to allow anyone (at least anyone in an apartment or/and doesn't have a monthly vet) to adopt. that's some messed up stuff.

Edited by Vendayn, March 20 2015 - 5:09 PM.

• SamKeepsAnts likes this

#19 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 20 2015 - 10:51 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

The term animal rights is an oxymoron.  Animals do not have rights, only people do, are people only have the rights we are capable and willing of enforcing for ourselves, either through political or physical power.  As soon as someone says they support animal rights I just think "Ok, I now know who  you are...  Good to know..."

PETA is a joke.  A bad one.  The only good thing about them is when those girls start taking their clothes off....  Now that I can live with, but the rest of that crap can go.

• MichiganAnts likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#20 Offline kellakk - Posted March 21 2015 - 7:43 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip