• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(Vancouver, WA, U.S.) Camponotus sp. queen --- FREE --- [local pickup only]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Wapanata - Posted July 6 2019 - 2:06 AM

Wapanata

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Very close to the Columbia river / Oregon border, near i5.
You'll have to pick up, shipping not available

Species: Camponotus Sp. ? 
see photos, queen is roughly 15mm in length.

Health: Queen is wild caught, found mid wing-removal at almost noon on July 5th (yesterday). Queen has eaten honey, appears healthy as of this moment.

Brood size: 2(+?) eggs

Price: Free, just come get her ASAP.

I used to collect any queens I find for a local teacher to use, but I forgot that she moved last month to another state. 
I have very little idea what I'm doing otherwise, just found this queen and put her in a little clear tube that I taped down to a piece of cardboard for more support. (see photo)
She'll come in that. 
She currently has two eggs last I checked, and has eaten a small amount of honey. You'll need to transport her to a more sterile tube. 

Basically treat this as a rescue pretty much. I'm not used to having something so small and fragile around and even with a lot of labelling, I'm worried I'll forget about her or accidentally handle her tube roughly. As interesting as I find them, I didn't really plan on keeping any ants, so I am not properly set up nor equipped to keep them longer than a few days. The longer they spend with me the more potential they have for accidents.

kYksuc9.png

gxZitDX.png

bx9U8n3.png

I tend to find 2 to 20 queens (mostly ants, sometimes termites) over the summer and into fall. So if you're nearby and want free queens as I find them (generally smaller sugar ant species though) let me know. Only catch is that I'd rather not have to hold onto them for more than a few days.

Edited by Wapanata, July 6 2019 - 4:46 PM.

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 6 2019 - 2:11 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Looks like Camponotus modoc. Maybe someone from the west coast will be more sure.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted July 6 2019 - 11:52 AM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Edit: nm I can't get it

Edited by PacificNorthWestern, July 6 2019 - 12:07 PM.

#4 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted April 8 2020 - 6:48 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon

u still got queens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users