• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

When to feed queen on foundation chamber?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted July 4 2019 - 8:55 PM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I have this little queen (I believe a brachymyrmex) and so far it's doing really good, she already have a few eggs and she looks really active taking care of them, my question is: when I should feed her for the first time?

Has been at least 4 weeks since I found her and after I let my other queen escape (dumb!!) this one it's the only active one that I have... Thanks!

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#2 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 4 2019 - 9:58 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

You could give her some carbohydrates, (Eg. honey), now, just to give her a little more energy, and then some protein, (Eg. Fruit Fly), once her eggs grow into larva. That should speed up her brood's development.

Feeding fully claustral queens is optional though, you don't have to do it. They can reliably survive on their stored fat reserves. Although, I do really find giving founding queens some protein once they get larvae really speeds up their larvae's development, and sometimes encourages the queen to lay more eggs. As a general rule, the more food a queen/colony has, the faster they will grow.

Hope that helps!

Edited by AntsBC, July 4 2019 - 10:04 PM.

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#3 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted July 5 2019 - 6:20 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Thanks... I just put a small drop of 🍯 in the tube, it was easier than I was expecting! I will remove it tomorrow morning and will wait until next Friday to give her more.

IMG-20190705-091805.jpg

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 5 2019 - 6:46 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

IMG-20190705-091805.jpg

Observe how the drop you placed in the tube is larger than the ant.  It is way too much, which can be dangerous to the ants and messy to clean up.

When feeding liquids in test tubes, you should really go for a small smudge or smear, not a fully formed droplet.  Better yet, cut the tip off a cotton swab (Q-tip) and partially wet it so the ants can drink from it like a sponge without drowning.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users