• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Surrogate Experiments/Journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 4 2019 - 5:32 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

i have been very interested in using a honeydew surrogate as a sole food source for awhile now. I successfully used one as a sole food source for a Camponotus floridanus colony and would like to experiment further and document my findings. So far i have been using an amino acid supplement called Amino Blast made by a company called body fortress, there is nothing special about it other than that it was on clearance at my local walmart and didn't kill my ants when i gave it to them, so I've just kind of rolled with it. I have noticed it contains a larger variety of amino acids than most other supplements i have looked at, it also contains electrolytes. It also contains artificial colors and sweeteners but hey that's the spice of life. I have been using a ratio of anywhere from 1:1 to 1:4 amino acid powder to surrogate, and ususally enough water to dissolve it into a syrupy consitency, i use hot but not boiling water as i have read higher temps begin to break down the amino acids. At first i was simply playing around but i began using it more and more and then just to see i stopped giving a young C floridanus colony all other food sources except for the surrogate for several months and they continued to produce eggs and grow, and i experienced no mass die offs. So for some initial tests this is what i am doing: I have 10 fertile (assumed, all with larvae) queens from 5 species, Camponotus floridanus, Crematogaster pinicola, Dorymyrmex bureni, Pheidole bicarinata, and Pheidole metallescens. 1 test and 1 control for each species. the test colonies will all be recieving nothing but the surrogate or variations of it ( i am concerned about vitamin deficiency in the long term) the control colonies will be recieving normal fare. I also have at least 1 or 2 additional founding queens from each species in the same stage of development so i may include an additional batch of test subjects before they all get nanitcs.

July 1, 2019:

All test queens recieved a single drop of surrogate consisting of a 1:4 powder/sugar ratio, controls recieved nothing

they are in kind of a haphazard setup currently but i will build a little box with some foam cutouts for them.

Edited by SuperFrank, July 4 2019 - 6:33 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#2 Offline yfaykya - Posted July 5 2019 - 1:43 PM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Fair play! I love to see this type of stuff. Advancing our knowledge. 

• rbarreto likes this

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 5 2019 - 5:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Before trying to invent a wheel from scratch, consider reading every relevant thing I wrote in this forum, and study the work of the Straka and Feldhaar diet.

• Martialis likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 9 2019 - 4:35 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Before trying to invent a wheel from scratch, consider reading every relevant thing I wrote in this forum, and study the work of the Straka and Feldhaar diet.

thanks for your advice and info! I will definitely read up on your prior posts regarding the subject and the paper regarding Straka and Feldhaar's floridanus diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users