• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

lasius Niger journal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 19 2015 - 8:35 AM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sun, 19th April 2015. (I got my ants a couple of months ago of ants UK.) Nothing really happened the queen didn't lay eggs or anything. Anyway, let's go to the good bit ☺
A couple of weeks ago I brought a little ant foraging container and placed some ant jelly witch they seem to not touch😰. As I write this, there is a worker foraging.The ants not liking the protein jelly, so I gave them some cooked chicken. (That better be enough protein for them😊.) They don't forage much though out the day. 1429451851430.jpg as you guys can see, the queen seems to be in good health and the workers are pretty fat. So they must be eating stuff I put in there with out me knowing. I forgot to mention that the queen has now got a little batch of brood she layed about 1-2 weeks ago. Hopefully these will develop in to lovely little workers.☺
  • Gregory2455 likes this

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 19 2015 - 9:25 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

It's normal for small colonies not to forage much. Lasius like honey so you can try it out and also it's good to give them small flies and insects. Good luck! :)

• AntGeorge likes this

#3 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:41 AM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks! I can't really get small insects. But what I can do is buy some maggots maybe?

#4 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:43 AM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks! My lasius seem to not be touching the honey that I put down a couple of days ago but they might be when I'm not watching them. ☺

#5 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:46 AM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm sure there is a few more eggs today. ( should of put this in 1 big one ☝☝)

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:48 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Thanks! My lasius seem to not be touching the honey that I put down a couple of days ago but they might be when I'm not watching them. ☺

When you take honey out of a sealed jar, it attracts moisture from the air and yeast quickly start to ferment it.

You will need to add fresh honey, or preferably, honey diluted with water, every 12-24 hours so it remains fresh and appealing to any foraging ants, otherwise they will not want to eat it.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:49 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

The Lasius I had enjoyed sugar water, hummingbird nectar, and any chopped up insect.  Freeze a cricket and cut it into 3 pieces and it works fine, same for mealworms or any larger insect.

• AntGeorge likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 20 2015 - 8:17 AM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok thanks! I've just ordered some mealworms of edibleunique. 99p bargain.☺ should be here in a few days.

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 20 2015 - 8:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Ok thanks! I've just ordered some mealworms of edibleunique. 99p bargain.☺ should be here in a few days.

Most ants, and I can guarantee your Lasius colony, will not eat dried insects, only freshly killed ones.

You should cancel your order unless you intend on eating those mealworms, yourself.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted April 20 2015 - 9:44 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Lasius don't like dried insects.  They really want the juices and occasionally tender insides.

List of preferred foods: http://www.formicult...ood-by-species/

You can keep insects alive in a culture: http://www.formicult...ts-and-feeders/

Or you can freeze them and just thaw what you need.  This is what I do.  I buy 50 crickets or so and just freeze them until I need them.  I also have live cultures of mealworms and fruit flies on hand.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#11 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 20 2015 - 10:14 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

They are not excepting honey maybe because they are fed. When they are full they won't eat anything for days especially small colonies.

#12 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 20 2015 - 11:05 PM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think what I'll do is go to the pet store later and get some sort of bug.

#13 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted April 21 2015 - 3:24 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

What nearly all of my ants like is maple syrup. You will not really see how much they eat.

Smaller colonies prefer flies for protein, normal houseflies of course, but you can also feed fruitflies. They love 'em. ;)

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#14 Offline Steveboy777 - Posted April 21 2015 - 7:15 AM

Steveboy777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yeah Lasius Niger seem to like fresh insects.

I just caught some sort of fly and put it in to mine and right away they grouped up and pulled it in to their test tube...still alive.

I also gave another colony mealworms.

A little tip though, mealworms aren't very good they have solid outer shells and are mostly liquid inside, mine didn't like that.

But they did like them in the pupae stage, for sure.

I cut off a pupae's head(they shake around if not) and put it in and they were at it all night, completely hollowed out the insides.

The pupae seem a lot more meaty than the worms anyway so if you get mealworms feed them and let them morph first.

Mealworms will eat pretty much any vegetable you give them, chuck a carrot in and watch it disappear over a few days. That way they turn in to pupae faster.

#15 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 21 2015 - 8:14 AM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
how about a cricket?

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 21 2015 - 9:16 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What nearly all of my ants like is maple syrup. You will not really see how much they eat.

It is best not to recommend undefined carbohydrates like honeys or plant-based syrups, because these can vary considerably in composition and quality depending on the source and time of collection.  

Given the number and accuracy of chemical receptors in ants, it's no wonder they can tell the difference between two things we, as humans, may mistake as identical in taste and/or nutrition.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 21 2015 - 9:16 AM.

#17 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 23 2015 - 10:32 PM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again! I've ordered some LIVE mealworms last night should be here tomorrow ☺

#18 Offline AntGeorge - Posted April 25 2015 - 5:24 AM

AntGeorge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I looked at my ants today, still waiting for the eggs to develop into larvae. Everyone seems to be fat and healthy. ☺

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users