• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Does anyone have a safe site to buy Nyjer seeds?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ariaant - Posted July 3 2019 - 8:01 PM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Hello all,

I was looking to buy some Nyjer seeds for my Veromessor pergandia.  Does anyone know of any safe sites; those without pesticides?

Thank you

#2 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 4 2019 - 4:12 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Have you considered nature stores for bird-keepers? Nyjer thistle is a preferred seed for goldfinches. I’m sure there’s a pesticide free vendor.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 4 2019 - 7:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The pet food aisle at any grocery store would have nyjer seed. It’s kind of pricey per volume.
  • Martialis likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline ariaant - Posted July 4 2019 - 9:30 AM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I was just worried that they might have used pesticides while growing them.  A google search for "organic" or "pesticide free" nyjer seeds didn't have many current options that were sold at the 1-2 pound level.  Maybe i am just being paranoid.  I was just hoping to see what brands other people have bought that worked out well.  Thanks for the replies.

#5 Offline OldManTrashcan - Posted July 4 2019 - 12:32 PM

OldManTrashcan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, CA
Nyjer seed is tough for young colonies, I recomend getting a softer seed like poppy or bluegrass seeds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users