• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Eggs stopped developing? Need advice.

camponotus egg development

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JillionsMillions - Posted July 3 2019 - 8:37 AM

JillionsMillions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have a Camponotus Modoc colony that I took out of hibernation this year March 1st. They went from 6 workers to 40+ very quickly, it was awesome. 

Then the queen laid about 60 more eggs and none of those have developed. They are all tiny and just larva from what I can see. It has now been over a month and a half with no change. My other Camponotus laid at the same time and her eggs are all hatching right now, so it's really weird. 

I have a heating cable through the set up and feed them regularly with fruit flies, crickets and a mixture of fruits and maple syrup watered down. Honestly they aren't very picky and will eat most everything I give them. 

Half of the eggs they have in a tube with a heating cable, the other half are in the tube connecting to the outworld. There are usually a couple of ants in the outworld but the rest of the colony is typically very inactive. This is my first ant colony so any advice would be appreciated.

I almost think they are showing signs of wanting to go into hibernation but it's July? Which makes no sense to me. But the queen is super inactive and constantly shoves herself against the cotton.

Thanks!!

gallery_3285_1549_1740857.jpg

gallery_3285_1549_542326.jpg

#2 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 3 2019 - 12:39 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada
Hey there,

From what you have described, it sounds like the colony is just tired.

Going from 6 - 40 workers would be quite strenuous on the Queen and the workers who have to forage and take care of the brood. Then, laying another 60 eggs; that’s definetly enough to do the queen in.

I find that after a colony goes through a insane growth period like this, they tend to go through an inactive state afterwards. Don’t worry, it’s completely healthy and normal. Everyone needs a break once and a while.

I would suggest to make sure the colony is getting as much healthy food and carbohydrates as possible while they’re in this state. Once they are all rested up, they should go back to normal and resume brood develop.

Good luck,

AntsBC
  • JillionsMillions likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 3 2019 - 2:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Everyone but fire ants....  :lol:

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, egg development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users