• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

First Attempt at Keeping Wasps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted June 30 2019 - 11:20 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Just caught a Polistes dominula colony on Friday and got their nest situated. I saw five wasps before I tried to catch them, but I only managed to catch 4. Luckily one of them is significantly larger than the others, so I am pretty sure I caught the foundress. Took them a little while to find their nest, but hopefully this is going to work well and I'll be seeing more of them soon.
HM2PxQa.jpg

zrIr4r3.jpg

• dermy, Barristan, AntPhycho and 2 others like this

#2 Offline dermy - Posted June 30 2019 - 11:43 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • LocationCanada

Finally someone who is doing was stuff with Polistes, not my favorite species due to them being invasive in some areas, as well as displacing other Polistes species but still better than Vespual for keeping! It looks like there are a few capped cells so you should be getting more workers soon. They can be free-ranged after they hit around 7+ workers (when the queen is less likely to leave the nest) but I know with Polistes you can also get away with keeping them contained for much longer. With Vespula it's best to free-range them once they have 10+ workers or it gets too dangerous to contain them

• Skwiggledork likes this

#3 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted July 6 2019 - 5:23 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Finally got them to eat some protein. I was starting to worry. I tried leaving mealworms, crickets, hornworms and wax worms in the cage for them to hunt and they didn't attack any of them. They even cannibalized a pupae. Finally got them to eat a cut up mealworm by offering it to them with tongs. One more wasp emerged and the day after I caught them I caught two more hanging out where the nest was, so I added them assuming they were from the same colony and just away while I was catching them, so I am up to seven wasps with a few capped cells in process.

cIMqFAE.jpg

• Barristan likes this

#4 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted July 15 2019 - 3:38 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

My colony has doubled in size and is up to 13. After a few days of tong feeding them, they started getting really defensive and giving me threat postures every time I was working in the cage/ trying to feed them. On the bright side, the insect parts I left in the cage were chewed up yesterday and this morning, so they are starting to eat on their own.

XdGkMXG.jpg

• AntPhycho and Ant_Dude2908 like this

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 15 2019 - 8:12 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

One of these times you'll open the container and meet a fleet of airborne wasps.  :lol:

• Skwiggledork likes this

Founding:              

Solenopsis invicta Experimental 7 Queen Colony                   Brachymyrmex sp.

Liometopum occidentale x2                                                       Pogonomyrmex californicus 2 Queen Colony

Forelius sp. 3 Queen Colony                                                   Solenopsis xyloni 3 Queen Colony

Forelius sp.                                                                              Pogonomyrmex californicus 3 Queen Colony x2

Pogonomyrmex californicus x5                                                 Would you buy from someone who insults you as a result of a question? 

Solenopsis xyloni x9                                                                  June 9, 2019 (10:41AM) drtrmiller: you are obviously so mentally deficient, you are incable of understanding... 

#6 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted Yesterday, 1:02 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

From what I've been reading they have a three stage warning before they attack and I'm not pressing my luck past step one, but it's always a chance. I know I'm not allergic, so I'm not too worried about getting stung. Time will tell. XD

• Scherme and Ant_Dude2908 like this

#7 Online Ant_Dude2908 - Posted Yesterday, 5:40 AM

Ant_Dude2908

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Wasps are actually very intelligent for an insect.

#8 Offline David19 - Posted Yesterday, 7:30 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Finally someone who is doing was stuff with Polistes, not my favorite species due to them being invasive in some areas, as well as displacing other Polistes species but still better than Vespual for keeping! It looks like there are a few capped cells so you should be getting more workers soon. They can be free-ranged after they hit around 7+ workers (when the queen is less likely to leave the nest) but I know with Polistes you can also get away with keeping them contained for much longer. With Vespula it's best to free-range them once they have 10+ workers or it gets too dangerous to contain them

I used to attempt to raise Vespula maculifrons but I failed every time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users