• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Ants Eat Ticks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Unfrozen - Posted June 28 2019 - 10:57 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

^^^^^

#2 Offline dermy - Posted June 29 2019 - 12:41 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Something seems off with that title. If you are asking if ants would eat ticks, I would assume no, the exoskeleton on a non-fed tick is very hard and they don't have much to them at that stage. As for big well fed ticks..... I'm not sure I'd be willing to feed my ants or anything that. If you pull a big huge tick off you sometimes it's recommended to keep it in case you get sick with something so a doctor might be able to run tests on it etc.

• Martialis and FeedTheAnts like this

#3 Offline Unfrozen - Posted June 30 2019 - 9:51 AM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga
Eat*

#4 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 30 2019 - 1:03 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Can't answer if they eat ticks, but they do carry ticks. I just caught a Camponotus Americanus with a tick larva attached to it. Both the ant and tick died in my attempted removal. The ticks are incredibly thick here in Northeastern Michigan this year.

Edited by Jamiesname, June 30 2019 - 3:46 PM.

#5 Offline dermy - Posted June 30 2019 - 3:02 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Eat*

I revised the Thread title to include eat instead of it.

Can't answer if they eat ticks, but they do carry ticks. I just caught a Camponotus Americanus with a tick nymph attached to it. Both the ant and tick died in my attempted removal. The ticks are incredibly thick here in Northeastern Michigan this year.

Yeah I know if you go into the woods you better be wearing your pants in your socks and be wearing a lot of DEET stuff or you'll be covered in them up here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users