• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Forelius sp. Journal

forelius pruinosus dolichoderinae

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 27 2019 - 12:50 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Forelius sp.

On June 2, 2019, at around 6:00 AM, I found my first ever queen of Forelius. It is most likely F. pruinosusbut I will have to wait until I have full-sized workers so I can put them under a microscope and know for sure (there is an undescribed species around here that is very similar to pruinosus). This species has large, multi-queen colonies and are extremely fast and heat-tolerant. 

June 2, 2019

ksBfhOF.jpg

ejP4sTE.jpg

June 26, 2019

First nanitic. Very tiny and already runs very fast. This queen has produced a very nice first brood.

LdhjOyR.jpg

vGyNjVg.jpg

• DJoseph98, Samuelp.1, rbarreto and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 27 2019 - 12:53 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Wow. Good luck! Though, from what I have heard, you don't need a lot of luck to get a colony of these going. :lol:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 3:40 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have found dozens of these queens, but they died before they got workers... :*(

#4 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted July 2 2019 - 2:53 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

I have found dozens of these queens, but they died before they got workers... :*(

Same. Right now I'm down to one...

Forelius sp.

On June 2, 2019, at around 6:00 AM, I found my first ever queen of Forelius. It is most likely F. pruinosusbut I will have to wait until I have full-sized workers so I can put them under a microscope and know for sure (there is an undescribed species around here that is very similar to pruinosus). This species has large, multi-queen colonies and are extremely fast and heat-tolerant. 

June 2, 2019

ksBfhOF.jpg

ejP4sTE.jpg

June 26, 2019

First nanitic. Very tiny and already runs very fast. This queen has produced a very nice first brood.

LdhjOyR.jpg

vGyNjVg.jpg

24 days for egg to worker?!?! I had no idea that they grew that fast!

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 2 2019 - 4:49 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

24 days for egg to worker?!?! I had no idea that they grew that fast!

Depends a lot on heat. 

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 3 2019 - 8:03 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It sounds comparable to the growth rate of some Formica and Tetramorium immigrans, so it's not necessarily unusual.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline DaAnt - Posted September 9 2021 - 4:52 PM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Update?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forelius, pruinosus, dolichoderinae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users