• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Camponotus floridanus Journal (Updated 3-6-20)

camponotus floridanus formicinae

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 27 2019 - 10:36 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus floridanus

Last time I tried keeping this species, I gave up on them because they grew too fast and ate too much food. This has to be one of the fastest-growing monogynous Camponotus species in the world. They get very large colonies (10,000+) and are extremely aggressive, making it very difficult to feed them if you don't have the proper setup. The major workers are known to draw blood. I will attempt to keep them again and see how far I can get before inevitably needing to release them.

I found this queen in a pool on the morning of June 20, 2019. They have their nuptial flights right after sunset, so she was certainly in there for several hours. After a few days she shed all but one wing and laid her first batch of eggs.

MCNqYSN.jpg

vRBOafp.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, March 6 2020 - 9:14 PM.

• Martialis, rbarreto and AntsBC like this

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:54 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 22, 2019

The original queen has larvae now but they don't really seem to be growing anymore... strange. Fortunately, I found three more Camponotus floridanus queens on the night of July 10 at my black light. All three of them have shed their wings and have nice piles of pinkish colored eggs. They also seem a bit larger than the first one I caught.

TS14fqn.jpg

SV6WqoK.jpg

wdxM3aM.jpg

• Karma and TennesseeAnts like this

#3 Offline dominatus - Posted July 30 2019 - 10:11 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
How long does it take for them to reach a 1,000 plus workers from a new founding queen? At what point did you give up last time?

Crazy they grow so fast. My C. decipiens wild caught colony have gone from 100 workers to almost 500 in two months and show no signs of slowing. I thought that was fast after reading how slow growing Camponotus is suppose to be.

What kind of set up do you have planned out?

Wish you the best of luck.

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 30 2019 - 1:07 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

How long does it take for them to reach a 1,000 plus workers from a new founding queen? At what point did you give up last time?

Crazy they grow so fast. My C. decipiens wild caught colony have gone from 100 workers to almost 500 in two months and show no signs of slowing. I thought that was fast after reading how slow growing Camponotus is suppose to be.

What kind of set up do you have planned out?

Wish you the best of luck.

Last time I gave up at only a couple hundred workers. When they're in a small setup they're very hard to feed because of how fast and aggressive they are. I wasn't really prepared for it and it became frustrating to deal with them.

With plenty of food they can exceed 1,000 in about a year or a little less. I have a couple of formicariums that were sent to me by someone who made them, so mine will probably go in those until they have several hundred workers and at that point I will need to figure out how to make formicariums for them. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 15 2019 - 7:51 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

August 15, 2019

One of the three C. floridanus queens got her first worker today. That was just over 4 weeks; rather fast compared to others I have had. The other two queens have pupae now.

uXilvzv.jpg

Rno8Xb3.jpg

RWAruZ8.jpg

#6 Offline dominatus - Posted August 16 2019 - 8:31 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Very nice pictures. What are you using?

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted October 13 2019 - 6:54 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Very nice pictures. What are you using?

Canon Rebel SL1, 30mm Canon macro lens

#8 Offline Aaron567 - Posted October 13 2019 - 7:01 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

October 13, 2019

There are 15 workers in this colony now. Because I haven't had much time to feed most of my ants in the last 2 months, they have not had much to eat and their only brood consists of a few small larvae. I expect the queen to lay some more eggs soon. I may or may not put this colony through a diapause this year. Unlike the other native Camponotus in this area which will enter diapause no matter what temperature they're being kept at, the floridanus seem to only stop larval growth and egg production once they actually feel lower temperatures. 

jVIKGhl.jpg

pwnwVku.jpg

#9 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 18 2019 - 12:37 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

December 18, 2019

The number of workers has not changed and the queen's egg-laying has been extremely minimal, so it looks like they know it is winter and they want to go through diapause. I have taken them out of their warm spot and put them in a cooler area where they'll receive temperatures no greater than 72 degrees Fahrenheit. They will officially begin winter diapause and I will probably take them out in February.

#10 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 6 2020 - 9:14 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

March 6, 2020

I took this colony out of diapause about 2 weeks ago. They had a very successful diapause; filled up on sugar water at the beginning and never had to refill. They are still plump from the original feeding in December. Worker casualties appear to be close to zero. The queen laid a little pile of eggs so far but it is hard to see in these photos because they crowded all around them.

Ls2nK7k.jpg

TIdhCip.jpg

ZmyzqJF.jpg

oF7yQLb.jpg

• Ants4fun, Karma, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 7 2020 - 12:16 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I've really gotta try my hand at this species. The problem is, living about 2 hours away from the coast, floridanus are not found here, so I'd have to travel to Charleston or Hilton Head Island, or anywhere else along the coast, and hope I get lucky enough to catch a flight.

• Aaron567 likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline Miles - Posted March 7 2020 - 12:18 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Congrats on your initial success with this colony, Aaron! It's nice to follow along a concise and coherent journal. Keep up the good work.

• Aaron567 likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, floridanus, formicinae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users