• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Aaron's Camponotus floridanus Journal

camponotus floridanus formicinae

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 27 2019 - 10:36 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus floridanus

Last time I tried keeping this species, I gave up on them because they grew too fast and ate too much food. This has to be one of the fastest-growing monogynous Camponotus species in the world. They get very large colonies (10,000+) and are extremely aggressive, making it very difficult to feed them if you don't have the proper setup. The major workers are known to draw blood. I will attempt to keep them again and see how far I can get before inevitably needing to release them.

I found this queen in a pool on the morning of June 20, 2019. They have their nuptial flights right after sunset, so she was certainly in there for several hours. After a few days she shed all but one wing and laid her first batch of eggs.

MCNqYSN.jpg

vRBOafp.jpg

• rbarreto and AntsBC like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, floridanus, formicinae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users