• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help with my new queen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alacom - Posted June 27 2019 - 12:37 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
So recently I started farming maggots to feed to my ants. Around two weeks ago or more I started giving them the maggots (alive) and all seemed well. I recently went on a week long vacation during which I knew that one of my new queen’s workers would expose, so I set them up in an outworld with a few dead maggots that were dropped in hot water. When I get back from vacation I found that her workers did eclose and all seemed well, but there were these new tiny bugs scurrying around the outworld (maybe mites) which I assumed were bugs that finished the rest of the decomposing maggots. Over the next few days her workers started disappearing until just one is left today, and one of my other colonies I fed the maggots to seems to be acting slow and not leaving the nest much. Did I give them some sickness or mites with my maggots?

#2 Offline dermy - Posted June 27 2019 - 12:54 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'd say if the mites aren't on the ants then the mites probably aren't the cause of death. Do these mites hop around or anything like that? if they do they could be springtails not mites. How is the water for the colonies? I know most ants will die fairly quickly without access to water.

#3 Offline Alacom - Posted June 27 2019 - 1:01 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
All the colonies have access to water. The bugs aren’t springtails, and they walk into the test tubes of the ants freely without getting attacked.

#4 Offline Scherme - Posted June 27 2019 - 5:39 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

so I set them up in an outworld with a few dead maggots that were dropped in hot water.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but what is the purpose of the hot water?

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#5 Offline Alacom - Posted June 27 2019 - 8:04 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

so I set them up in an outworld with a few dead maggots that were dropped in hot water.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but what is the purpose of the hot water?

To insta-kill the maggots and hopefully and bacteria they carry. I’m not sure that I had it hot enough though, and I’m wondering if it would’ve been better to freeze them for an hour.
  • AntsBC likes this

#6 Offline Scherme - Posted July 3 2019 - 5:58 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Over the next few days her workers started disappearing until just one is left today

is there any evidence of them? How many were there and how many remain?

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#7 Offline FSTP - Posted July 3 2019 - 6:57 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W
Can you see any of the small bugs/mites in question in you maggot culture/colony?

Edited by FSTP, July 3 2019 - 6:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users