• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What species of temnothorax?

Best Answer Canadian anter , June 26 2019 - 7:21 AM

Either curvispinosus or ambiguus probably Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:04 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Hi, I caught 8 temnothorax queens last night, 3 of which I’m positive at temnothorax curvispinosus. Those 3 queens are all very dark in color and are 3.5 mm. The other five queens that I want to identify are also 3.5 mm, but instead of being very dark in color, they are a bright orange. I have a feeling they are also temnothorax curvispinosus. I found them last night June 25th at around 11:00 p.m. They were attracted to my blacklight, and I was around a wooded area on my patio:

And if these are temnothorax curvispinosus, does that mean I can put all 8 queens together?

Spoiler

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:07 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I found those same Temnothorax last night! I have no idea what they are. They looked like a lighter curvispinosus.

#3 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:14 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I found those same Temnothorax last night! I have no idea what they are. They looked like a lighter curvispinosus.

Ya, I figured they could be that, but there was no median between the very dark ones and the very light one’s, so that’s why I’m confused on if they are Temnohorax curvispinosus or not. I’m pretty sure though that they can have this color variation though, so I guess we’ll see.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 26 2019 - 5:15 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:21 AM   Best Answer

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Either curvispinosus or ambiguus probably
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:26 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Either curvispinosus or ambiguus probably

I was thinking ambiguus as well.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#6 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:32 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Ambiguus does seem right. Are they polygynous though, because I have all 5 queens together and they are getting along now, but who knows about later?

Spoiler

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:33 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I believe most Temnothorax are, because they are so small. I have found that ants with small queens tend to be polygynous so founding is easier and they can get larger worker counts at the end of the year.
  • ant007 likes this

#8 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:39 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I believe most Temnothorax are, because they are so small. I have found that ants with small queens tend to be polygynous so founding is easier and they can get larger worker counts at the end of the year.

True, I think they’ll all get along just fine.

EDIT: I read online that ambiguus and curvispinosus are very similar, but I followed up on some differences, and these queens are definitely temnothorax ambiguus.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 26 2019 - 7:45 AM.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users