• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alate ID Bergen County, NJ 6/24/2019

Best Answer VoidElecent , June 25 2019 - 4:58 PM

Lasius interjectus

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ColKurtz - Posted June 25 2019 - 4:21 PM

ColKurtz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey/Massachuetts

1. Location (on a map) of collection: 
2. Date of collection:  June 24, 2019, approx 8pm
3. Habitat of collection: Was collected in school yard, in a grassy area, underneath debris from a fallen tree/rotting log,  a few feet away from a paved surface.  The wings were disturbed as demonstrated in the photos, which indicated to me this was not a disturbed nest.  That said, other ants were in the general area, including C. pennsylvanicus .  
4. Length (from head to gaster):6-7mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Honey brown, gaster appears to have stripes
6. Distinguishing characteristics: eyes appear tiny in my opinion.  Gaster is small relative to body for a female (not 100% sure this is a female), unlike what is typically seen in many Camponotus sp
7. Distinguishing behavior:  None
8. Nest description:  Unknown

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Not witnessed  

Having a bit of difficulty with ID.  First thought was L. murphyi or similar parasitic Lasius sp. but having seen a number of those before, this did not clearly present itself to me as one, perhaps due to the wings obscuring my view of the distinctive body shape of same.  

IMG 20190624 233407
Album: june.24.2019
4 images
0 comments

Thanks for any assistance with this one. 

#2 Offline ColKurtz - Posted June 25 2019 - 4:48 PM

ColKurtz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Photographs problem fixed

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 25 2019 - 4:58 PM   Best Answer

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Lasius interjectus

• Martialis and AntsBC like this

#4 Offline ColKurtz - Posted June 25 2019 - 5:07 PM

ColKurtz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Thank you.  We have so many parasitic lasius in my area it is hard to keep them straight.  

Lasius interjectus

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted June 25 2019 - 6:33 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I caught one of these the other day. Then I had the wisdom to put her in a place where she could escape. 

Spoiler

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 29 2019 - 1:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Thank you.  We have so many parasitic lasius in my area it is hard to keep them straight.  

Lasius interjectus

I believe that species can be identified by their orange queens, like you have. L. claviger and L. umbratus are dark brown/black, and L. latipes  is red.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline AntsBC - Posted June 29 2019 - 3:24 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Lasius interjectus

I believe that species can be identified by their orange queens, like you have. L. claviger and L. umbratus are dark brown/black, and L. latipes  is red.

You should never fully base an identification off of color, especially for Acanthomyops group Lasius. In this subgenus, color is a variant, so solely relying on it to make identifications will almost always lead to inaccuracies. 

Edited by AntsBC, June 29 2019 - 3:30 PM.

• VoidElecent and rbarreto like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users