• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Inverness, Florida. June 23, 2019. Camponotus socius?!?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline dominatus - Posted June 23 2019 - 8:43 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

These guys are foraging in my sister's yard also. So many ants in her yard of such variety! The soldiers are huge but again I have no idea where they are nesting or if there are new queens out there to find...

1. Location of collection: Sandy grass yard on edge of sparse pine forest. Inverness, Florida. West central ish florida

2. Date of collection: June 23, 2019
3. Habitat of collection: Sparse pine forest, very sandy soil
4. Length: Soliders are 10mm, workers 7-8mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Very dark red head and thorax. Gaster is black with yellow stripes or patches. Mostly the yellow shows near front of gaster near connection to thorax
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Pretty colors: rarest ant in the yard but still very easy to find foraging.
7. Can't find a nest. Did see some digging in soil which seemed unusual for Camponotus. When I dug I found about 15 ants, 2 being soldiers. No others ever emerged. No brood. Very shallow hole, 3 inches. Left them alone and they went back to foraging.

uc?id=10a5bsnRPoLSgEyIZRe72WPbXnj5KAiqd

uc?id=10dBC2Ef80aO_YHgDREaoM6Jl_noncTm2

uc?id=10drIzJilUmTDAg15zpp6STgPodI2fPkg

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 23 2019 - 8:44 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Camponotus socius seems right to me!

• LC3 likes this