• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Inverness Florida ant ID, June 22 2019

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dominatus - Posted June 22 2019 - 4:05 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Edited for proper formatting.

Visiting family in Florida. May end up moving here. Went anting with brother in law and his kids. We found several Pogonomyrmex badius queens which is awesome!

We also dug up what we thought was a chamber and found these guys in the picture along with a queen with them. A lot of workers but no brood. Queen was right there on top with them though.

1. Location of collection: Inverness, Florida. West central Florida. Sandy soil home yard on edge of unkept sparse forest.

2. Date of collection: June 22, 2019
3. Habitat of collection: Sandy soil. edge of pine forest that was not very crowded but a bit overgrown. Very humid and moist (it is Florida lol) 

4. Length: workers 6 mm, queen around 9 mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: yellow orange all over. shiny, not nearly as dark as they seem in the pictures.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: IDK, they run and go crazy when disturbed, not very aggressive but very erratic.
8. Nest description: Sandy soil. Not much of a mound, just little fresh sand outside hole. Mistaken for claustral chamber.

uc?id=10ZyLLrXydhe9GRmow03zjzH6VZqi85II

uc?id=10YOlxFj5vwmDpl5gEIzsYr33P4jXIuCw

uc?id=10Y5ggKnC1agbBYh-pdwNpztN_p51zLuQ

I don't have anything but my phone camera sorry. Any clues what they are from these pictures? 
Thanks y'all.

Edited by dominatus, June 22 2019 - 5:44 PM.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 22 2019 - 4:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
This is a Formica species, likely of the Pallidefulva group.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline dominatus - Posted June 22 2019 - 5:36 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Do y'all think it might be a species that can have multiple queens and we stumbled upon a new satalite nest with one of the queens in it? Seems so strange they way we found the queen so shallow and with no brood, but so many workers.

#4 Offline dominatus - Posted June 22 2019 - 7:24 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Yeah. Read some more. Think it is Formica pallidefulva. Maybe another species in that group but that one fits well. After reading about their behavior I think what happened is I caught them in the middle of a nest move. Feel guilty now. I don't know where to or from they were going, and where I found them there was no brood. I don't know if it would be better to keep them now or if they could regroup with rest of colony if I let them out where I found them. I really thought it was a new claustral chamber when we dug. Oh wells. Queen can certainly regroup I imagine if we give them a good formicarium. She has lots of workers just no brood. Feels bad.
Thank you for pointing me in a direction to research.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users