• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strange looking cricket in my cricket breeding bin

cricket

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 1 2015 - 1:26 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Interesting, nice find, Drew! 

Looks like your crickets suffer from the same mutation that a rare, particular strain of white eye American cockroach displays; the two orders are closely related to begin with.

Breed them up and sell some on arachnoboards. The white eye americans cost a few bucks a piece - apparently the mutation carries a lethal gene as mortality is high in nymphs.

• dermy likes this

#22 Offline Roachant - Posted June 1 2015 - 4:58 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
I wouldn't mind keeping field crickets as pets! I find they look way cooler than house crickets, even without their white walker eyes!
Don

#23 Offline dermy - Posted June 1 2015 - 5:36 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Interesting, nice find, Drew! 

Looks like your crickets suffer from the same mutation that a rare, particular strain of white eye American cockroach displays; the two orders are closely related to begin with.

Breed them up and sell some on arachnoboards. The white eye americans cost a few bucks a piece - apparently the mutation carries a lethal gene as mortality is high in nymphs.

Never thought about that, I know the species your talking about, the Roaches look really cool with white eyes.

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 1 2015 - 6:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

One of the females escaped the other day and I found her on my couch. Can you guess how I immediately knew it was one of them? :lol: Well, I put it back only to end up with it or another one escaping again. Since then the other two adults died, so I hope some of these babies live to be breeders.

• sgheaton likes this

#25 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 29 2017 - 2:55 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

What happened? Just found out about this journal, wondering if they're still doing well!

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#26 Offline Serafine - Posted November 29 2017 - 3:35 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Just a normal color mutation. If you breed fruit flies long enough you'll get lots of different eye colors (red, black, white...).

Insects, especially those that suffer from prolongued inbreeding and a lack of predation, are far more diverse than you'd think - I remember when were making color vision tests with flies at a university lecture and our first test fly wasn't even able to see colors AT ALL. Took us three or four flies to actually find one with all color receptors working (apparently we got the lucky batch containing all the freak flies).

Edited by Serafine, November 29 2017 - 3:37 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#27 Offline Hunter - Posted November 29 2017 - 5:27 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

they might have a mutation but they could have a rare lass-worm, that is common in snalles,crickets, and pray mantises

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cricket

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users