• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsBC's Parasitic Formica sp. Journal (Updated: June 19, 2019)

parasitic formica formicaravida ravida f. rufa group journal antsbc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsBC - Posted June 17 2019 - 5:28 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Hey everyone,

This is my journal on my parasitic Formica queen/colony.

This past week, I was in Calgary for hockey. I was aware that Alberta has some very cool Formica rufa group spp., (which I am particularly interested in), so I tried my best to visit parks in hopes to find some colonies.

A managed to find a park where F. obscuripes, F. ulkei, and another parasitic Formica species were all present, which was quite exciting for me. The first day I visited there, the conditions weren't really ideal for nuptial flights, so I didn't see any queens. I came back a few days later, after a recent rainfall, and I saw many parasitic Formica dealates searching for host colonies to infiltrate. I only collected one queen.

I collected five parasitic Formica workers from the colonies nearby, and the queen and workers accepted each other. I had them in a plastic bag, as I didn't have anything else to carry them in. The bag definitely wasn't ideal, and unfortunately after around an hour only the queen remained. I would have moved them all into a water bottle or something better, but I never got the chance. I was hiding them from my parents too, as they said I wasn't permitted to bring any ants home from the trip.

The queen made it to the airport, through customs, onto the plane, and back to my house alive; all in the plastic bag. Although I was hoping, I wasn't really expecting her to live. Because of this, I have high hopes for her. 

She really wasn't looking too good after I got home. I transferred her to a test tube, and fed her some honey. This morning, she looked a lot better. 

Once I got home from school, I introduced some Formica pacifica host workers to her. She has around three at the moment, and I just baited around 25 more using a sugar water test tube. I'll separate that group from their colony for a few days, and then I'll introduce them to the queen and her workers.

Here's some photos:

qfO9s9f-DlEEjgqiVHXFYUcAGFM6IszCnpNv5ujc

kWoJ0vWYMIFPmdPKQPC-M0OCJPkfd5FfrloHkiXA

-FXuuAsdRv7oGCG5W7_mAmO7OG_sTI133SIIRqAu

Gq957qzB0jU-Dgbqvzty3ITXlRToxQ8Yubp7Qlm0

Edited by AntsBC, August 11 2020 - 11:26 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto and NickAnter like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 19 2019 - 10:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
It’s legal to move ants across borders there?

#3 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 19 2019 - 10:58 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Yes

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#4 Offline Acutus - Posted June 19 2019 - 2:23 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Nice! she's cool looking! :D

• TennesseeAnts and AntsBC like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#5 Offline AntsBC - Posted June 19 2019 - 2:44 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Update #1: Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Yesterday, I introduced the workers I was talking about in the last post. The queen accepted them. I used, what I like to call, The Fridge/Pheromone Combo for introducing the workers.

The Fridge/Pheromone Combo is essentially when you gather around 10 workers from one Formica fusca group colony, then around five workers from different Formica fusca group colonies, and mix them together in a test tube. Then, you put the test tube in the fridge, (you have to be pretty quick to put them in the fridge, as they will usually start fighting after you mix them together). You leave them in the fridge until they have almost curled up; I usually open the fridge door every minute or so to see where they're at, because you don't want to kill them. And then after you take the test tube out of the fridge, the workers will get along fine! To complete the method, you introduce the chilled workers to your parasitic queen.

I find this method is the easiest and most successful way to raise Formica social parasites, and I've never had it backfire on me. For me, the pupae method is a big hassle, and I find if you introduce workers right away, your queen will actually have a higher success rate then if you introduced pupae first. Parasitic queens generally don't want to take care of brood.

Anyways, here's a photo of the queen with her Formica pacifica host workers. I must admit, she is really beautiful.

OoAt534EcHeDwq4sfW96MStOv1Bxp7295xklKb-9

And here's a video:

https://youtu.be/7Hq4z5_3cmg

Edited by AntsBC, June 19 2019 - 2:53 PM.

• LC3, TennesseeAnts and Acutus like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Instagram // YouTube 

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 20 2019 - 9:30 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Yes
Lucky. I am assuming because of similar climate?

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 9:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yes
Lucky. I am assuming because of similar climate?

No, they just don't have the unnecessarily strict laws we have. :ugone2far:
  • Canadian anter likes this

#8 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 11 2019 - 4:15 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Update #2, Thursday, July 11, 2019:

This queen has been through a lot. We'll see if she makes it.

Basically, a little while after I connected this colony to an outworld, all the workers began to slowly die. Disease seems to be the best answer for this, as the workers were becoming immobilized slowly. If it was the queen that was killing them, they would have died more quickly.

In attempts to save the colony, I put the remaining four workers and the queen in a new test tube.

Fast forward a week, all the workers are dead, and only the queen remains.

Today, I collected two wild F. pacifica workers from seperate colonies, chilled them, and introduced them to the queen. She seemed to have accepted them, only time will tell if that continues. 

I'm assuming she will wait until after hibernation to lay eggs, if she makes it that far.

Today has been a super crazy ant/culture day. I've been having problems with one of my other parasitic Formica colonies, who have pupae at the moment. I also opened my garage today and found out my fly farm had a defect in it, as there were 500 maggots crawling over the floor... 

Edited by AntsBC, July 11 2019 - 4:20 PM.

• Canadian anter and TennesseeAnts like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Instagram // YouTube 

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 12 2019 - 6:05 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Be glad it was in the garage!
  • AntsBC likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parasitic, formica, formicaravida, ravida, f. rufa group, journal, antsbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users