• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

lasius spp.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 13 2019 - 10:32 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was cleaning the patio and shaking out some boots when I noticed a queen entanglrd in a spider web. She was dead, but the body was limp and pliable and the gaster was soft, so I'm guessing she flew recently. What is she, and will this speicies fly again?

date: 6/11/19 - 6/13/19

length: around half an inch

color: reddish brown, reflective 

characteristics: looks a lot like iridomyrmex, head base same width as mesosoma, eyes of medium size, 1 petiole node

med_gallery_3141_1423_495314.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1423_793074.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1423_669897.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1423_571169.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1423_181128.jpg

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 13 2019 - 10:35 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Looks like she may be Liometopum. Not exactly sure why this post is titled "lasius spp."—if you thought this was a Lasius queen, which I suppose is reasonable, Lasius "spp." as opposed to "Lasius sp." would refer to more than one Lasius species.

• AntsBC likes this

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted June 13 2019 - 11:02 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Looks like she may be Liometopum. Not exactly sure why this post is titled "lasius spp."—if you thought this was a Lasius queen, which I suppose is reasonable, Lasius "spp." as opposed to "Lasius sp." would refer to more than one Lasius species.

I don't wanna hiJack the thread but was wondering where "without being too scientific" can you find definitions for the use of this stuff?

So "sp." means 1 species and "spp." would mean multiple?

Another I'm not sure about is when they put "cf." Like this Hypoponera cf. opacior

• VoidElecent likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted June 13 2019 - 12:16 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I don't wanna hiJack the thread but was wondering where "without being too scientific" can you find definitions for the use of this stuff?

Another I'm not sure about is when they put "cf." Like this Hypoponera cf. opacior

It means it is similar to whatever species. For example, if I caught a Lasius queen and identified it as, Lasius cf. alienus it means that this species of ant is similar to the "alienus" species, and specifically means "compared to". Pardon any of the "formatting" mistakes I may have made :)

• Acutus likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted June 13 2019 - 12:18 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Here: http://www.formicult...y-and-taxonomy/

This is a far better explanation.

• AntsBC and Acutus like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#6 Offline AntsBC - Posted June 13 2019 - 12:44 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Just to clarify, this is a Liometopum occidentale queen.

Edited by AntsBC, June 13 2019 - 12:45 PM.

• VoidElecent likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#7 Offline Acutus - Posted June 13 2019 - 1:04 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

It means it is similar to whatever species. For example, if I caught a Lasius queen and identified it as, Lasius cf. alienus it means that this species of ant is similar to the "alienus" species, and specifically means "compared to". Pardon any of the "formatting" mistakes I may have made :)

Thanks for the explanation and the link!! :D

Where abouts in Maryland are you located? I don't know any other Antkeepers here. :D LOL!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#8 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted June 14 2019 - 4:54 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Thanks for the explanation and the link!! :D

Where abouts in Maryland are you located? I don't know any other Antkeepers here. :D LOL!

Rockville. Yeah, not many anters in this state

• Acutus likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 15 2019 - 12:20 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Just to clarify, this is a Liometopum occidentale queen.

Thank you. I had no idea they lived here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users