• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Colobopsis obliqua Journal

colobopsis obliqua phragmosis formicinae camponotini

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 15 2019 - 3:58 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Colobopsis obliqua

Colobopsis obliqua is the only Colobopsis species that is restricted to the southeastern United States. A similar species to Colobopsis impressa, obliqua queens can be difficult to distinguish from impressa when you first spot them. They essentially look like a slightly scaled down version of impressa with only one yellow band across their gaster instead of several. The head of obliqua is slightly more elongated and with sharper edges around the front of the face.They're very small -- queens about 5 millimeters and minor workers about 2.5 millimeters. It's weird to think that this species was considered Camponotus just a few years ago.

On the night of May 21st, I collected a few C. obliqua queens. Their nuptial flights basically take place at the same time as impressa, but I find far fewer queens of obliqua compared to impressa. I combined some of the queens together and kept some on their own.

Here is a comparison picture I made, with impressa on the left and obliqua on the right.

qE7NHN7.jpg

June 15, 2019

All eggs and small larvae for now.

R5DzzJJ.jpg

iuyPflr.jpg

B0wOit6.jpg

Kc5Xa3W.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, June 15 2019 - 4:01 PM.

• Acutus likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 15 2019 - 6:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I love their elongated eggs!  So cool!  I wish we had Colobopsis in California. Good job!  Hopefully they will be successful!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 19 2019 - 5:18 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I found 2 of these last night. They both kept their wings.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 19 2019 - 5:29 AM.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 31 2019 - 1:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

How are they?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 31 2019 - 1:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

qE7NHN7.jpg

They're gorgeous queens.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 31 2019 - 3:52 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I had both C. impressa and C. obliqua, but now only have impressa. I like them better. My colony has 3 queens and some eggs and large larvae.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colobopsis, obliqua, phragmosis, formicinae, camponotini

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users