• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

All Moved In

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted April 22 2019 - 1:15 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Well I finally felt it was time for my Camponotus fragilis to moveout of their test tube set up and into a Mini Hearth Modular. However I always feel out worls are to small especially with all of the THA lineup. So instead of using the diminutive stock outworld I placed the entire Mini Hearth into a large enclosure. This way they will have a much larger area to forage in and when their numbers get to great for that Mini Hearth I'll just snap another one on since they're modular. 

They moved in much faster than I've ever experienced a colony to move.

th_967385815_IMG_2588_122_485lo.JPG

th_967403176_IMG_2592_122_190lo.JPG

th_967406336_IMG_2593_122_499lo.JPG

Here is a short video showing them during the move.

Edited by FSTP, April 22 2019 - 1:21 PM.

• Ant Broski, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted June 12 2019 - 5:12 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Been looking at these Mini Hearths myself. I like that they are modular and can be added to but I was wondering about the Out Worlds as well. How exactly are they attached to the unit? Are They even attached?

Could you post a pic next to a Dollar Bill or something so I can get a sense of scale?

How do your ants like it? I'll be looking to put some Camponotus Castaneus in it. :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 13 2019 - 6:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
The outworld is attached with magnets.
  • Acutus likes this

#4 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 16 2019 - 6:11 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

doing it like this can get dicey with large colonies when it come to refilling the water.

Instead of using a tubing to connect the next from outside the outworld

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users