• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinder's Pogonomyrmex Subdentatus

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 29 2015 - 8:26 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

The two colonies I have in Talus's from THA are doing really well.  Both have eggs, and I'm looking forward to the first batch of workers.  I bet they are too.  

I have another queen of this type in a found chamber by ByFormica.  I can't see any eggs in this one, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have any.  My view into her nest is obscured by condensation, and the nest itself is white.  The next time I buy one of these it'll probably be grey so I can see the brood.  

The 4th queen of this type I have is in a "dirt box" (as Terry likes to call it) made by Drew.  I really like this style of formicaria, but once she dug a chamber, I haven't seen her again.  I don't know if she's alive or dead.  She appears to have not eaten anything since I put her in there because the cricket I put in there is untouched, and I have no reason to believe she has ever come out of that nest once she dug it.  She dug it in a way where I literally have no view of her, so I'm just hoping she has laid some eggs and is doing well.  I hope she comes out to eat soon.

Edited by BugFinder, April 30 2015 - 6:49 AM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 30 2015 - 6:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

My first year I had a bunch of my Pogonomyrmex queens in regular jars of dirt that weren't made like an ant farm so most of mine could never be seen either. I used  to wonder if they were dead or alive. Most of them would stay in their nest and only come out every couple days. Sometimes they wouldn't come out for a week or two. When they did come out, they were usually only out for a few minutes to a few hours, so sometimes you might not even be able to tell they were out without taking a picture of their entrance and comparing it to see if anything changed. Fortunately they like dried up insects, so just leave a dead cricket or something on top and when she's hungry she'll come out and find it.

• BugFinder likes this

#23 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 1 2015 - 11:39 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I saw the queen in the dirt box today.  She was out for a very short time, was moving very fast as if she thought she was vulnerable to danger, she grabbed the cricket I had in there and dragged it down into her nest and she was gone.  She looked very healthy, so I'm guessing she's going to do really well.  It'll probably be a few months before I see much of a change, but I bet by the end of the summer I'll see workers in there.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 1 2015 - 12:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When you are keeping them this way, it's pretty exciting to see the first worker come out.

• BugFinder likes this

#25 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 13 2015 - 10:10 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It just happened today.  I was walking by and I saw a worker scurrying around in the foraging area of the dirt box.   It's the first time I've seen any activity in the formicarium since 5/1 when I last saw the queen.  I was so surprised to see the worker I had to get a closer look to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, lol.  This colony is apparently doing really well.  The others of this species aren't.  All of my other colonies of this species have died.  (Talus, growtube. and test tube).

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#26 Offline Bardusquus - Posted June 13 2015 - 12:10 PM

Bardusquus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

It just happened today. I was walking by and I saw a worker scurrying around in the foraging area of the dirt box. It's the first time I've seen any activity in the formicarium since 5/1 when I last saw the queen. I was so surprised to see the worker I had to get a closer look to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, lol. This colony is apparently doing really well. The others of this species aren't. All of my other colonies of this species have died. (Talus, growtube. and test tube).

Photos pls

#27 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 13 2015 - 6:29 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It just happened today. I was walking by and I saw a worker scurrying around in the foraging area of the dirt box. It's the first time I've seen any activity in the formicarium since 5/1 when I last saw the queen. I was so surprised to see the worker I had to get a closer look to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, lol. This colony is apparently doing really well. The others of this species aren't. All of my other colonies of this species have died. (Talus, growtube. and test tube).

Photos pls

Sorry bud, she was moving fast and I saw less than 5 seconds of her.  She hurried back into her hole and I haven't seen her since.  I suspect I'll see more and more of this colony as the summer progresses.

Edited by BugFinder, June 13 2015 - 6:29 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 13 2015 - 6:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Told you it would be exciting to see the first worker haha.
  • BugFinder likes this

#29 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 13 2015 - 7:22 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It's such a surprise!!

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#30 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 25 2015 - 1:28 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I saw her again today.  She moves so fast when she's foraging, like she's afraid she's in danger.  Much different than the way they move in other formicaria.  I wonder if that's because the top of the box is open.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 25 2015 - 6:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If they think they are outside in the open, they will act that way.

• BugFinder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users