• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formicarium for Temnothorax?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 12 2019 - 5:36 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Currently, I have a colony of Temnothorax curvispinosus ants that are at about 140 in population and they have a lot more brood on the way. I was just wondering if anybody had ever made a “permanent” formicarium for them, and if so, when should I move them in (at what colony size)? I am in the process of making a 5” by 7” picture frame formicarium, but I feel this will be way to big for them. What is a good sized formicarium to house them in?

Spoiler

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 13 2019 - 5:09 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I think it would be cool if you got a twig, cut it in half and hallowed it out. You could the glue the edges to a glass box. If they outgrew that, you could just add more sticks.
  • Acutus likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 13 2019 - 5:27 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Temnothorax colonies don't get much bigger than the size your colony is at. Get an Atom Nest from Tar Heel Ants.

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 13 2019 - 8:14 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I think it would be cool if you got a twig, cut it in half and hallowed it out. You could the glue the edges to a glass box. If they outgrew that, you could just add more sticks.

That’s a neat idea! I was thinking more along the lines of hollowing out a walnut half and doing the same thing!

As for the atom nest, I was looking at that one, but my parents won’t let me buy formicaria soooo I gotta make my own.
  • TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users