• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Please help ID this queen - 8mm in Sydney

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline akwhsu - Posted June 11 2019 - 4:06 AM

akwhsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi guys,

First time poster here (although I've been stalking these forums for a while now).

I am in Sydney, Australia and it is winter here. I've caught a few of these queens at night time. They are similar in size to the local Australian Iridomyrmex Bicknelli queens (roughly 7-8mm) however these queens have a a larger head. 

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Pictures:

PJ5Q6NV

Edited by akwhsu, June 11 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 11 2019 - 5:48 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Please embed your photos. Many, including myself, will not click on outside links. :D

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted June 11 2019 - 9:14 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Hi guys,

First time poster here (although I've been stalking these forums for a while now).

I am in Sydney, Australia and it is winter here. I've caught a few of these queens at night time. They are similar in size to the local Australian Iridomyrmex Bicknelli queens (roughly 7-8mm) however these queens have a a larger head. 

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/PJ5Q6NV

I can't ID stuff here much less Australia! :D However to imbed your pic go to Imgur and click on the picture you want to post, Weh it opens copy the "Direct Link". come back to the forum amd click on the picture Icon, paste your Direct link into the window and you're done! :D

• ANTdrew likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted June 11 2019 - 9:30 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Wow! In June?! It's almost winter for you!

I agree with your ID.

Spoiler

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 11 2019 - 12:20 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

looks like notoncus

I. bicknelli have rounder mesosomas

#6 Offline akwhsu - Posted June 11 2019 - 1:00 PM

akwhsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks guys, I've followed the instructions, hopefully it works now. 

PJ5Q6NV

Hmm..not sure why pictures aren't working on this post, it just links back to the page with images. 

Edited by akwhsu, June 11 2019 - 1:02 PM.

#7 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 11 2019 - 6:53 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Upload your photo through imgur, then go (on the web, not on the app) to your imgur photo gallery. Then, click on the photo you want to upload and there should be a drop down menu that says “link”. Scroll to the one that says “direct link” and then copy and paste the link into your reply or comment. (I do this all on my phone, so it may be different for a computer, congrats on finding a queen though! :D)

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users