• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

NickAnter's Solenopsis molesta and Monomorium sp. Journal

solenopsis truncorum solenopsis molesta solenopsis solenopsis journal

32 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 29 2019 - 3:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
All monomorium are dead. Only two molestas left.

Edited by NickAnter, June 29 2019 - 3:15 PM.

Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti
Founding queens: Brachymyrmex patagonicus, Solenopsis xyloni, Lasius cf. niger, Solenopsis molesta, Temnothorax cf. caguatan, Formica argentea, Camponotus vicinus, Pogonomyrmex californicus, and Myrmica cf. tahoensis.

#22 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 29 2019 - 4:00 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Nooo
5 queen Temnothorax ambiguus (founding)
11 queen Temnothorax curvispinosus (founding)
1 queen Colobopsis mississippiensis (founding)
1 queen Colobopsis impressa (founding)
1 queen Lasius interjectus (with 30 host workers)
x3 1 queen Camponotus subbarbatus (founding)
1 queen Strumigebys pilinasis (colony of about 30 workers)
1 queen Ponera pennsylvanica (founding)
x2 1 queen Pheidole bicarinata (founding)
1 queen Temnothorax curvispinosus (~170 workers) ... also have 2 termite colonies.

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 30 2019 - 4:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Found four more molesta queens last night, at 8 to 9 pm.. I am tempted to make a dirt setup for them.
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti
Founding queens: Brachymyrmex patagonicus, Solenopsis xyloni, Lasius cf. niger, Solenopsis molesta, Temnothorax cf. caguatan, Formica argentea, Camponotus vicinus, Pogonomyrmex californicus, and Myrmica cf. tahoensis.

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 30 2019 - 6:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
I caught three more Mononorium queens.
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 2 2019 - 7:53 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Well, all monomorium are dead, and there are still four of the old molestas left.  However, last night I caught thirty molestas, but I saw one mate for sure, so I put her in a separate container.  I decided to release the thirty, and keep the one.    Also, the tube that used to have fifteen queens, but now has two, has no eggs. The tube with two queens, has lots of eggs.  Still likely infertile though.  Hopefully the one that is fertile lays lots of fertile eggs.

Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#26 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2019 - 5:55 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
In another huge flight, at my black light I caught two for sure mated queens. I put them together this time, so that I now have four tubes, 3 with 2 queens, and 1 with one queen. The original grouping is doing poorly.

Edited by NickAnter, July 3 2019 - 5:56 AM.

• Ant_Dude2908 likes this
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 3 2019 - 7:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I heard somewhere on the forum (I forgot who said it) that S. molesta on the East Coast tend to be polygynous, but on the West Coast they will 'tear each other to shreds'. The ants here seem to be more influenced by the East Coast, as I once found a colony with 70 plus queens. They became the Royal Legion until I hibernated them in the garage, and they froze to death (my Camponotus colony was the only one that made it). :*(

#28 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2019 - 10:14 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Oooh. Yeah, I have read that too, but wanted to test it out.
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 17 2019 - 11:02 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
All dead. I will get more though. They fly nightly.
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 24 2019 - 5:52 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Caught three more, as they seemed to be the calmest at the black light, and because one removed her wings.
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#31 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 1 2019 - 9:39 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

I now have three single queens and two pairs.  Some of the single queens have eggs, but I can't tell with the pairs, as they are very huddled up against the cotton.  I really hope one is fertile, as their flights seem to have stopped.

Edited by NickAnter, August 1 2019 - 9:40 AM.

Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 12 2019 - 7:55 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
I have caught three more so far while in the Eastern Sierras, hopefully, because they are in a rural area, more males were produced, so they will hopefully be fertile. I put them together to conserve test tubes.
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

#33 Offline NickAnter - Posted Today, 8:27 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Hmm. Well this is interesting. The ones I caught in the Sierras are close to twice the size of the ones here in HB. Not in lenght, but in bulk, though they are about 2mm larger. Rather interesting. That means that they are about 6mm, as the ones here are 4mm on the mark. Not S. molesta size. Could they have evolved larger in the Sierras due to the altitude? Or are they a different species? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis truncorum, solenopsis molesta, solenopsis, solenopsis journal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

YsTheAnt