• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi From Kentucky

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline grim789 - Posted March 14 2015 - 3:45 PM

grim789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA Kentucky
Hey how's everyone doing I have just recently become interested in ants and the hobby. I started watching a video from antscanada about a BA formacarium setup and I was hooked I have watched all of his video just about and a few documentrys on ants. I am really excited to get started keeping ants I have just recently purchased 25 test tubes to house any queens I find. I have looked around outside for some but haven't seen any as of yet I'm thinking by next month they will start to appear tis hoping anyhow lol. If anyone else in kentucky has caught any I would be curious to hear about it and what kind. But I'll leave it at that for the intro :) happy Anting everyone!!!
  • AntsTexas likes this

#2 Offline AntsTexas - Posted March 14 2015 - 4:59 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

greetings from west texas :) , doing good, i'm a  1st timer too....  check youtube for this awesome doc called "planet ant: life inside a colony" u will like it....

Edited by Ant-Man, March 14 2015 - 5:46 PM.

• Ra3MaN likes this

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#3 Offline William. T - Posted March 14 2015 - 5:44 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Hey there from Maryland! Noobie here too. Do you live near Fordsville? The Antscanada GAN Project has an ant farmer there that sells ants. Check it out on Antscanada.com. Hope you get some colonies!

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#4 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 14 2015 - 10:45 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Welcome to the forum. Nice profile picture, by the way.

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 14 2015 - 10:57 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Welcome from San Jose, CA

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 15 2015 - 1:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome to the forum. :)

#7 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 15 2015 - 12:24 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Hello! Welcome to  the forum! :)

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 15 2015 - 1:04 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome! :)

#9 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 15 2015 - 1:54 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

welcome :) . 

IMG 5858

#10 Offline grim789 - Posted March 15 2015 - 2:57 PM

grim789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA Kentucky
Hey thanks everybody for the warm welcomes :)). To Ant Man yeah I actually watched that after watching a couple of antscanada videos on his setups haha. That was an awesome video for others who haven't watched it I suggest checking it out as well.

Ant maniac - yeah I know I was glad it let me use that picture haha.

William T- yeah I seen that one on there I thought about sending him an email but I'm kinda torn cause I would like to catch one for myself you know thrill of the hunt and all ;D.

Thanks again for the welcomes everyone glad to be here and Anting with everyone!!!

#11 Offline Chromerust - Posted March 15 2015 - 3:15 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Welcome, you're in for a treat for sure. You may want to get a black light and set it outside at night when it's warm especially after it rained. That can be the easiest way to get some queens sometimes.

#12 Offline grim789 - Posted March 15 2015 - 3:22 PM

grim789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA Kentucky

Welcome, you're in for a treat for sure. You may want to get a black light and set it outside at night when it's warm especially after it rained. That can be the easiest way to get some queens sometimes.

Awesome thanks so much for the advice I have a couple already I will defiantly be doing that. I tried putting some honey out just to see if there are any around lol.

#13 Offline Chromerust - Posted March 15 2015 - 3:31 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Haha I've never heard of baiting queen ants before :-). I forgot to mention to put the black light on a white sheet or you can hang the sheet up and aim the light at it. Use both your lights at the same time if you can. The brighter the better. Also a dark location is helps a lot.

#14 Offline TheCrazyAntLady - Posted October 23 2018 - 9:37 AM

TheCrazyAntLady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Hello, fellow Kentuckian! I've caught plenty of Tetramorium and Lasius in my yard and on my farm. I understand that this post is old but, if you're still interested in queens, I'm selling some! They're still in their founding stages though. I do hope you've kept this love for ants! They are honestly the best!

Its ant love forever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users