• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Quizzie's Formica polyctena - dead (June 14th, 2019)

formica polyctena pratensis rufa parasitic parasite founding

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Quizzie - Posted June 9 2019 - 2:21 PM

Quizzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

This is the sad story of my Formica polyctena queen. Maybe it will help somebody.

June 4th 2019

I was sitting in the grass, talking with my husband about catching our first queen. At that moment we looked down and saw a queen sitting on his shoe. She chose us!

We put her in a test tube not knowing her species yet.

xNlJe7h.jpg

June 6th 2019

We found out she's a Formica polyctena queen (or possibly rufa or pratensis) which means she's a social parasite. This was both exciting and worrying (because we're still beginners). In the end we realized we were already attached and decided to keep her.

I gave her some maple syrup, but don't know if she ate any.

I studied a lot of guides on raising parasitic ants.

June 7th 2019

I gathered 9 workers from a nearby nest that I assume is her species (possibly even her birth nest).

OUA2G5G.jpg

June 8th 2019

I made a small founding nest out of Ytong, red plexiglass and a food storage container.

ID7hbhf.png

June 9th 2019

The queen was moved into the new nest. She settled right in.

RefZ3gB.jpg

I threw one half-dead worker into her nest entrance. The queen freaked out and evacuated the nest. She still hasn't come near the worker and spends her time hidden in the nest entrance. Isn't she supposed to be a conqueror?

June 11th 2019
I chilled the queen and two more workers in the fridge and then introduced them.
They began hiding from each other and then chasing around.
Three workers survived and will be released back into their home.

Edited by Quizzie, June 14 2019 - 11:33 AM.

Formica cinerea (queen of 2018)

Formica rufibarbis (queen of 2019)

Formica pratensis? (queen of 2020)

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 9 2019 - 2:31 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Give her brood not live workers.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Quizzie - Posted June 9 2019 - 10:30 PM

Quizzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Give her brood not live workers.

I don't want to damage a nest to find brood.

I have a Formica cinerea colony, but they don't have any pupae at the moment. And the queen isn't capable to raise larvae alone, right?

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 10 2019 - 4:52 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Actually, with Formica parasitic species, the queens are ABLE to open the pupae. It is different with Lasius species though where the Lasius social parasites CAN’T open the pupae. This is where with Formica it is okay to not have any workers, but with Lasius, the pupae will just die because the signals do not match and the queen doesn’t know how to open them, so it’s neccessary to have workers for them. Even though it would greatly increase your chance of success if you gave her Formica brood (mainly pupae) due to the fact that the workers will instantly recognize her as their queen, but it is not neccessary and it can be done with just workers (just do it slowly and carefully, but you seem to be doing a good job so far!). Anyways, cool queen, and good luck! :D
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#5 Offline Quizzie - Posted June 10 2019 - 11:21 AM

Quizzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Thank you.

Like I said I don't feel like looting (and thus damaging) a wild colony. And I probably don't want to steal from my Formica cinerea either since they're still in a test tube and don't seem to have brood to spare.

I'll try the workers and see how it goes.

I know Formica can open pupae, but can the queen also feed larvae? Probably not, right? I'm not sure she can even feed herself. I haven't seen her eat yet.

Anyway, our queen is pretty cowardly. :-P The worker turned out to be still alive (though in bad shape, poor little one) and the queen is terrified of her, running away from her if she moves. This doesn't really bode well for her conquest of the workers.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 10 2019 - 11:46 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Thank you.
Like I said I don't feel like looting (and thus damaging) a wild colony. And I probably don't want to steal from my Formica cinerea either since they're still in a test tube and don't seem to have brood to spare.
I'll try the workers and see how it goes.

I know Formica can open pupae, but can the queen also feed larvae? Probably not, right? I'm not sure she can even feed herself. I haven't seen her eat yet.

Anyway, our queen is pretty cowardly. :-P The worker turned out to be still alive (though in bad shape, poor little one) and the queen is terrified of her, running away from her if she moves. This doesn't really bode well for her conquest of the workers.

there are a few European ant shops that sell formica pupae I think.

Edited by Manitobant, June 10 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#7 Offline Quizzie - Posted June 10 2019 - 11:58 AM

Quizzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

there are a few European ant shops that sell formica pupae I think

Really?

I tried googling and didn't find any...

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 10 2019 - 12:04 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If you want to do it with fully developed workers however, I would advise you to read the guide on raising parasitic lasius. Skip the callow method as that involves pupae. Even though the queen isn't lasius, I expect it to be the same with formica. Here is a link to that page: http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Edited by Manitobant, June 10 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#9 Offline Quizzie - Posted June 10 2019 - 10:42 PM

Quizzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

If you want to do it with fully developed workers however, I would advise you to read the guide on raising parasitic lasius. Skip the callow method as that involves pupae. Even though the queen isn't lasius, I expect it to be the same with formica. Here is a link to that page: http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Yes, thank you, I already read that, it's a very useful guide.

#10 Offline Leo - Posted June 10 2019 - 11:07 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Haha lucky. I've kept ants for 4 years and never seen lasius or formica XD

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#11 Offline Quizzie - Posted June 14 2019 - 11:35 AM

Quizzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

So the queen died. :(

I updated the story...

#12 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 14 2019 - 12:09 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Aww, sorry to hear that :(

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, polyctena, pratensis, rufa, parasitic, parasite, founding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users