• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Preferred Food by Species

feeding food eat preferred

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 2 2015 - 3:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but I'll try. Queens eat the same food the workers of the same species eat.

• PTAntFan likes this

#42 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted June 3 2015 - 12:34 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

I'm not sure, that all semiclaustral queens eat too, maybe they only feed their larvae. Of course the claustral don't.

There are a few variations in feeding. Some feed the larvae with insects, some feed them with a special secretion.

Otherwise some queens depend on the the feeding by their workers.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 3 2015 - 6:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm pretty sure all living things eat. But yeah, I guess maybe he meant during their founding stage.

• FSTP likes this

#44 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 3 2015 - 6:30 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Yes, that's what I meant.  Thanks to you both, just what I needed.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 3 2015 - 6:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think this list needs to be changed a bit. First of all, I don't see any reason to list what ants don't like, since I highly doubt anybody has done extensive research on any species to know that they absolutely won't eat something (assuming we are talking about something of nutritional value). There are quite a few reasons why ants would decide not to eat something at any given time, but there is pretty much only one reason they WOULD eat something, and that is that they like it. So basically, this list should focus solely on what ants LIKE, leaving out the dislike. In addition to that change, I would like to make this list a little bit more informative by giving people some way to vote or "like" the listed foods based on whether or not their ants liked them. This would actually show the popularity of the listed foods, giving a much better idea of what each species really does like.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#46 Offline Crystals - Posted June 3 2015 - 8:35 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Originally, the section for Doesn't Like was to show things that were tried, but refused with people's various colonies. It is true that ants may refuse something at one time, but happily eat it at another time.  This is very common with small colonies.

I am not sure how to add the voting system in, but that would be excellent.  If you wish to edit or update the original post, please feel free.  I seem to have been quite slack in updating this list as people keep adding their observations.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#47 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 3 2015 - 9:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'll have to think of a way to do it. Maybe I will do this once I'm done with the mating flight chart.

#48 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 3 2015 - 9:24 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

If ants are fickle like Crystals states, would the Don't Like system would be effective or useful?  You're contributing so many great things, Drew, I selfishly would prefer that you worked on something better known to bring benefits.  :D  Such as a Flight Notification System.  Won't go further on that and hijack this thread, but that's my $.02

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#49 Offline cpman - Posted June 23 2015 - 1:11 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I can say that all my Camponotus (C. cf. sayi, C. cf. sansabeanus, and C. sp. 1) all love wingless fruit flies.

#50 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 29 2015 - 8:16 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
Question, what's with honey water as opposed to just honey? Is it so they are less likely to get stuck in it and out track it around?

#51 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 29 2015 - 12:31 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

My colonies don't seem to do well with pure honey. Now I feed them only with fruits or occasionally sugarwater.

#52 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 6 2015 - 12:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Question, what's with honey water as opposed to just honey? Is it so they are less likely to get stuck in it and out track it around?

Yes that is the main reason for it.

#53 Offline Osimmilimus - Posted July 16 2016 - 12:50 AM

Osimmilimus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Pheidole megacephala: - Paratrechina longicornis -Odontomachus similimmus -Caramel -Any fruit juice(mostly grape though)

#54 Offline andSocks - Posted October 7 2016 - 7:32 PM

andSocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Good idea. I'll keep this pinned.

Any experience with brachymyrmex diet?

#55 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted October 12 2016 - 8:34 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

So helpful! Thanks!

:>

#56 Offline XZero38 - Posted October 13 2016 - 8:53 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I can say that my Pogonomyrmex. Occidentalis love the feeder crickets i give them doesnt seem to matter if they are frozen or living.

I prefer to give them living after i put them in the fridge and remove the head right before feeding.

They swarm and start dismantling the cricket shortly after it goes into the outworld.

Both P. Occidentalis and M. Mimicus don't seem to really care for superworms at all

Both Tetramorium sp. E. and M. Mimicus enjoy thawed frozen flightless fruit flies.

M. Mimicus will take bits of cooked scrambled egg as long as its plain.

#57 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted November 2 2016 - 9:00 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Pachycondyla likes mealworms, first time I see my queens eating the stuff that I provide. 2 took 2/2 pieces of mealworm and 1 took 1/2, the queens carried the pieces to the test tube where the eggs are. I hope to help with more info about these ant's in the future.

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#58 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 27 2016 - 11:40 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
What do Invicta eat?

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#59 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 27 2016 - 12:26 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

What do Invicta eat?

My invicta LOVE honey and mealworms

YJK

#60 Offline Enderz - Posted November 27 2016 - 12:40 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

What about dorymyrmex bicolor. I could help with that, just message me.

Edited by EnderzATwar411, November 27 2016 - 12:41 PM.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding, food, eat, preferred

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users