• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

AntsBC's Lasius americanus Journal (Updated, July 5, 2019: First Worker Born)

antsbc lasius americanus journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsBC - Posted June 9 2019 - 1:24 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Hey everyone,

I've decided to create a journal on my Lasius americanus queen, as she is about to get her first workers any day now.

In my parts, Lasius spp. are quite discrete, so I was actually quite excited when I found her walking on the side of a pool, last year in late July. Luckily, I had a test tube in my pocket (you never know when you're going to find queens) , so I was able to capture her.

She laid her first batch of eggs shortly after being housed in a test tube, and she overwintered them as larva. Now, she has almost too much brood to handle. I estimate around 15ish larva, and three pupae. Two of the pupae aren't in the picture; she has them set off to the other side of the test tube. I fed her half of a spider so hopefully she will be able to keep up with feeding all of her larva.

Here's some photo's of her with her brood:

jSJSAA0kgt4ykjkXsHWJ3komy-PpJPhqKCE9-BCzXQiR5WKHekSDIPNWwL2Ui_A0UltZLhuJ35WF73IzyGVrTZObSaa0-RO1W2ky4-9Jr9VtnomDwtxNpjWvlIg5WOS2G8zB0OcsY-wwrdnsYDU8s_Ou0WNFm2JX

Edited by AntsBC, July 5 2019 - 10:17 AM.

• ANTdrew and Acutus like this

My Active Journals:

Formica fossaceps (Parasitic sp.)

Formica ravida (Parasitic sp.)
Formica pacifica 
Lasius americanus 
Manica hunteri

Instagram // YouTube 

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 10 2019 - 2:21 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan
Lasius look so fun to keep! I really want them!
  • AntsBC likes this

#3 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 5 2019 - 10:15 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Update, July 5, 2019: First Worker Born

This queen got her first worker yesterday. The nanitic is still very pale, and quite timid. She was hiding under her mom for the majority of the checkup.

I have high hopes for this colony, as I think they are going to grow quite quickly. This queen has the most amount of brood I've ever seen a queen have in her first batch, (I'm used to Formica, lol).

6ok9Tq5JZreQIOV5WmMgrCrYhdgIsdbzXd6Ip3gNi_XceAdVMYED3UN71Nld6Y0OZJKfN3M20-QO82NWspzOBWIABsPUSqFoLdcGvT2MhlqG9TJgeWvPOhD9

Edited by AntsBC, July 5 2019 - 10:20 AM.

• Ant_Dude2908 and ANTdrew like this

My Active Journals:

Formica fossaceps (Parasitic sp.)

Formica ravida (Parasitic sp.)
Formica pacifica 
Lasius americanus 
Manica hunteri

Instagram // YouTube 

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2019 - 11:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So cool! Finding a non-parasitic Lasius is on my bucket list.
  • AntsBC likes this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2019 - 11:29 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Congrats!
  • AntsBC likes this

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(2 tubes  with five in one and two in the other.  )

---Monomorium cf. minimum(1 queen) Pheidole navigans(9 separate queens) Hypoponera sp. (1 queen)  Nylanderia vividula(1)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antsbc, lasius americanus, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users