• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stink ants in my room!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline disasterants - Posted June 11 2019 - 7:10 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

I recently cleaned my room and boy... what a mess... But I found out that there is a relatively active tapinoma sessile colony there. I know there stink ants(T.Sessile) since they're tiny, the right body shape, & when you crush them they create a Citrus/lemony/onion-like smell. i was about to eradicate them when I realized that Maybe I could find a way to capture them. you see, whenever I leave food around, They swarm it. So maybe if i left a really tasty food in an open container and then when i see queens start swarming it I capture them, Maybe I could cap the lid and bang I've got a colony. problem is i havent seen any queens swarm any food or even come out so I'm not sure how that'll work. I'm not even sure where the nest location is since the trails are too disorganized to follow. perhaps if I added some sort of digging medium and continously added food to said container I could ponentially get them to set up a satelite nest and since this species is known to have multiple queens per colony, I could get at least some queens that way. or i could get a food trail set up so that they follow it, and find their nest at the very least.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 11 2019 - 8:08 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You can put a test tube out and they should move in. They're quite nomadic

Edited by Manitobant, June 11 2019 - 8:10 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#3 Offline disasterants - Posted June 11 2019 - 8:18 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

Thanks for the advice. I hope i can get some queens since they seem like a pretty cool species and easy to keep as well

You can put a test tube out and they should move in. They're quite nomadic

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted June 11 2019 - 9:33 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I don't see why people want to keep these.. they're near impossible to keep contained (believe me, I've tried) and grow at an almost unmanageable rate.

Anyways, you should just offer them a dark, humid place to move into. Be warned, however: they'll only become more active in your room and the nest you capture will only be one of the many in your house.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this
Spoiler

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 11 2019 - 9:37 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I don't see why people want to keep these.. they're near impossible to keep contained (believe me, I've tried) and grow at an almost unmanageable rate.

Anyways, you should just offer them a dark, humid place to move into. Be warned, however: they'll only become more active in your room and the nest you capture will only be one of the many in your house.

It literally is impossible to keep them completely contained. My colony is going to get a THA Fortress soon. They have 80 ish queens, and over 500 workers as well as over 5,000 brood.... The fact that these mate in the nest only makes their growth rate even higher, if that's even possible.... :lol:

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted June 11 2019 - 10:53 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Guess it's a good thing they don't get like 3' long!! We'd be done!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users