• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best glue for 3D printed nests?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MaxGen - Posted June 6 2019 - 9:30 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

What's the best glue to use when affixing wire mesh to 3D printed nests?  I used some cheap dollar store epoxy once and it debonded after sitting in the humid tray for a long time. 

Currently I am using Superglue as I know people use that to secure moss to rocks in aquarium setups.  It must do ok with humidity I assume?

Any better suggestions?  I am scuffing the print surface before gluing of course.

Thanks,

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 6 2019 - 2:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Take a soldering iron and press the tip against the plastic you want it to stick to.  This will weld fine stainless mesh onto the plastic.

• TennesseeAnts, NickAnter and Acutus like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline MaxGen - Posted June 7 2019 - 5:37 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

Good idea.  I'm guessing that will take some experimentation or practice. 

It will require just the right amount of pressure to melt enough to overlap the mesh, but no too much pressure to melt through the floor of the nest.  I'll also have to be careful not the tack the mesh down at spots that leave a warp in the mesh that creates a gap.  

Thanks

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted June 7 2019 - 11:16 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Some hot glue also works.

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 7 2019 - 5:21 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I wouldn't use hot glue.  It just is not very strong.  I would recommend to use good opoxe, and don't forget to mix it.  It works, when dried, underwater, so humidity is not a problem.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline MaxGen - Posted June 8 2019 - 4:45 PM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

Well..  Tacking with a soldering iron is the way to go.  It was so easy and effortless.  I used my cheap $10 soldering iron and removed the bit. Inserted a cut-off screw to give the tip a broader surface.  Light pressure and it is firmly tacked.  Tacked the perimeter out in both directions from the starting point.  Could not have asked for a better finish.

It's cheaper and less messy too, I don't need to buy any glue/epoxy

Thanks for the idea Dr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users