• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Fitzysgto - Posted June 5 2019 - 5:09 PM

Fitzysgto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I've just started to collect Camponotus pennsylvanicus. I've have found a lot of queens. Ones that I have found without there wings are in 6 test tubes. 4\6 have already laid eggs. Today I found 2 without wings and 12 with wings.

I put them all together in a giant ant farm. I have a formicarium with just Camponotus pennsylvanicus workers. how do you introduce workers to queen(s)? will they kill her or accept her?

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted June 5 2019 - 6:37 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
This sounds like an excellent way to kill them all.
  • AntsMaryland, Kahldris and Somethinghmm like this
Spoiler

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted June 5 2019 - 7:19 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

C. pennsylvanicus are 1 Queen/colony ants. Mixing them like was said is a good way to get most if not all killed. your chances of established workers accepting the queens is very low.

• Somethinghmm likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 6 2019 - 5:44 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I do it all the time. Never has the queen been killed. If it does fail for me, the queen ends up decapitating the worker. I only give the small minor workers though, so if things do go wrong, the queen has no problem dispatching any rouge workers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users