• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Cloud's Lasius americanus Journal (Updated June 4th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:40 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, United States

I found this queen on Sunday running across the sidewalk at my park. She seems very tiny for a Lasius queen, and I'm not 100% sure of her identification, but this is what I'm sticking with for the time being. Updates coming soon!

Spoiler

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:57 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Are you sure that it is not Brachymyrmex or Nylanderia?  That is what I would think based on the time, and small size.

Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti
Founding queens:   Lasius cf.americanus, Solenopsis molesta, Temnothorax cf. nevadnsis, , Camponotus vicinus, Pogonomyrmex californicus, and a Leptothorax species.

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2019 - 6:12 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, United States

Are you sure that it is not Brachymyrmex or Nylanderia?  That is what I would think based on the time, and small size.

Brachymyrmex are night fliers, but she could be Nylanderia.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users