• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polymorphic genetic triggers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted March 13 2015 - 12:32 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

http://news.sciencem...mpaign=facebook

An article about polymorphic genetic triggers. Sent to me by a doc. Pretty interesting stuff.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 13 2015 - 1:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's pretty interesting.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 13 2015 - 5:48 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I wish my doctor sent me papers on ant research. :(

On a serious note, what are the natural triggers? Colony size?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted March 13 2015 - 6:05 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Colony size and health I assume are the main contributing factors to caste production.

And he's a doc in the sense of the phd. xD I don't let him do checkups on me.

#5 Offline Anhzor - Posted March 19 2015 - 10:38 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I actually bought some Juvenile hormone (sold as tick killer aka methoprene) to experiment with one of my Pogonomyrmex colony.  I diluted into the right amount done in a study (not this one that's posted) and put it on their food.  One by one the whole colony die and I though it was because JH force the queen to lay less eggs and effect the larvae in a way that they shrivel up and die.  I assume that I gave them too much, should have follow the protocol of brushing it on the larvae but i don't have a microscope.

Edited by Anhzor, March 20 2015 - 1:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users