• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where to find tiny rubber stoppers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted May 31 2019 - 3:11 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hi all - 

I am looking for very small rubber stoppers that can be used to plug the end of a 3/8 vinyl tube. 

I have some little red stoppers that are used with THA nestmates, and they are perfect. Problem is, I don't have access to them right now (long story) so I'm looking for a replacement. I am able to find lots of stoppers around on the internet, and they are cheap, but I can't find a size that will work for this application!

Doest anyone have a reliable way to plug a tube? I want it to be water tight, i.e. like using it for a nestmate.

thank you!

#2 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted May 31 2019 - 3:22 PM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Lowe's has some small cork stoppers, as they are tapered should be fairly easy to find a small one that can plug the tube...

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#3 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted May 31 2019 - 4:16 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Not a bad idea. Do you think it would be air-tight enough to keep a vacuum in a nestmate? 

#4 Offline Acutus - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:39 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I was thinking maybe you could buy one of the big Pink pencil erasers and fashion your own stopper?

• AntPhycho, TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#5 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted June 1 2019 - 2:09 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Not a bad idea. Do you think it would be air-tight enough to keep a vacuum in a nestmate?

I will think that if you pick one with smooth solid texture and pushed firmly that should hold without problem... They used to have some black rubber Hillman too!

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2019 - 2:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A homebrew supply shop by me has rubber stoppers in many sizes. Where does Mack get his for THA products?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users