• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any queen bees or queen bumblebees for sale

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Floridaantz1000 - Posted March 13 2022 - 10:56 AM

Floridaantz1000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCrestview Florida
Hi I was looking into getting a queen bee or a queen bumblebee to start beekeeping. I can pay 60 for one.
  • m99 likes this

#2 Offline m99 - Posted March 13 2022 - 11:01 AM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

For those prices I'm pretty sure you could get full on hive nucs or at least mini-nucs (i.e. a small starter colony of nursebees and the queen) from professional apiarists. Which is what you should be doing if you're starting out fresh, buying a lone queen won't get you far. Even wild queens always leave their birth hive with a pre-formed gang of attendants when budding, because they need the help.

In many areas the local bee sellers are also one of the main resource for local knowledge and info too, so ideally they'll be able to give you tips and advice along the way.

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted March 13 2022 - 11:42 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

there are companies that sell Bumble bee queens and colonies. They're used extensively in commercial hot house tomato farming. Bumblebees are perfect for that application because they can tolerate being indoors and are great for buzz pollinating the tomato plants. 

• m99 likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2022 - 3:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

there are companies that sell Bumble bee queens and colonies. They're used extensively in commercial hot house tomato farming. Bumblebees are perfect for that application because they can tolerate being indoors and are great for buzz pollinating the tomato plants.

If you do that, make sure you’re only getting species native to your region. Commercial use of non-native bumblebees has introduced pathogens into the ecosystem.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users