• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis xyloni battling Solenopsis cf. molesta!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 7:17 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

So, while out looking for ants at my old elementary school, I was looking at a Nylanderia vividula colony, when I saw some Solenopsis xyloni.  This was a relatively small colony, compared to others in the vicinity, and I saw that some workers were limping, and there were alate wings everywhere. I then saw an xyloni worker with S. cf. molesta workers biting and stinging it's legs!  i then saw some molesta alates being carried by xyloni majors.  Well, one thing learned, is that the little Solenopsis here are polygynous, as there were many non-winged queens being killed, and that the workers are extremely pale, even for molesta.  I never knew that it would be the thief ants that ended up getting raided, and by a bigger ant! :lol: I will definetly be getting a queen of theses little Solenopsis, and will certainly check back tomorrow to see if the war is still going on. have any of you seen this?  Also, do S. molesta get extremely pale workers, or have you seen any?  Can't post an ID thread as I do not have a macro lens, or a good camera. :ugone2far: Anyway, all extremely interesting in my opinion!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 30 2019 - 2:18 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

The non winged queens do not necessarily  indicate polygyny, just that some of the alates may have lost their wings already. The molesta things in California are commonly very pale.

• TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2019 - 2:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thank you for he info!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2019 - 6:37 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, still battling, and the Molesta are winning. The molesta are above ground because the queens are still scouting out for a nuptial fligh, even though it is clearly too windy. The queens of this species can sting, as I saw an alate stinging an Xyloni median. They even managed to take down and kill the largest Xyloni caste! Just crazy!

Edited by NickAnter, May 30 2019 - 6:38 PM.

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 31 2019 - 11:17 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, still battling, and the Molesta are winning. The molesta are above ground because the queens are still scouting out for a nuptial fligh, even though it is clearly too windy. The queens of this species can sting, as I saw an alate stinging an Xyloni median. They even managed to take down and kill the largest Xyloni caste! Just crazy!

I don't think this is molesta

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 2:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

What else would it be? It could be salina, but they are just so uncommon.

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 31 2019 - 3:27 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

No question they are not molesta as that species apparently does not actually occur in California, sadly no one actually knows what S. molesta actually is since the types are lost. My dad went to the type locality and collected samples which based on body chemistry represent two species which did nothing to clear the situation up.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Wow! I didn"t know that.  Thank you for sharing.

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:16 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

No question they are not molesta as that species apparently does not actually occur in California, sadly no one actually knows what S. molesta actually is since the types are lost. My dad went to the type locality and collected samples which based on body chemistry represent two species which did nothing to clear the situation up.

How did the types get lost?

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:26 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I got pictures! Got imgur. This photos shows the little Solenopsis attacking the Xyloni major.

#11 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:26 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

It could have occurred in any number of ways.

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Sorry about the bad pics, will find a better one, and one with the queen attacking.

Edited by NickAnter, May 31 2019 - 5:28 PM.

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here we go:
Rats, wrong one, sorry.

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Deleted, Sorry, meant to delete the previous post, this was the one with the queen attacking.

Edited by NickAnter, June 1 2019 - 6:13 AM.

#15 Offline Acutus - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:36 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Looks like the War is over! In both pics it looks like little ants carrying big ants in pieces. Have you actually seen the battle? Is maybe the larger ant colony already dead somehow and they are just farming the dead for food?

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I was not able to check today, but in that picture, that only shows the dying Xyloni workers, there were more. I assure you that there are still hundred s of very living Xyloni workers there. The molesta things only attack them when the xyloni wander over their nests, which would normally be subterranean, but because as aforementioned,as the queens are looking around, they are out and about. I bet that they are still battling right now. In the first pic, that major was still alive, but I took the pic when it had stopped struggling momentarily. The molestas are climbing on the xylonis in an attempt to sting them, they do not have the strength to move them. And I did see the battle, as I took those pictures. It is the Nylanderia vividula that make piles of dead xyloni workers, here:

Edited by NickAnter, May 31 2019 - 5:49 PM.

#17 Offline Acutus - Posted May 31 2019 - 7:00 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Sounds so cool! You should get some video!! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2019 - 9:14 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I will try today with the newly acquired magnifier setting, it may be better than before.  I tried a few days ago and the quality was horrendous.

#19 Offline Acutus - Posted June 1 2019 - 10:18 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I'll make some popcorn and get ready for the new "Ant WAR Video!!"  (y)  (y)  (y)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#20 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2019 - 1:35 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have a question: can you put videos on Imgur? If yes, I will post a video tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users