• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crystal's Camponotus herculeanus journal

crystals carpenter

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Crystals - Posted November 1 2014 - 9:40 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Despite puling them out of hibernation, they decided that they had plenty of reserves and had no intention of waking up.  They finally decided that it was spring around early October.

The larvae started growing again, and spinning cocoons.  Queen is laying eggs again.  So they are now in a reverse hibernation, and I am quite enjoying seeing ants when the wild ones are sleeping.

There are about 100 workers, and I didn't even bother to try and count the brood.

DSC06964_zps399a079b.jpg

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#22 Offline dermy - Posted March 21 2015 - 11:11 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Whatever happened to this colony?

• Ants4fun likes this

#23 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 3 2015 - 7:59 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Update?

#24 Offline Crystals - Posted May 7 2015 - 12:10 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Thought I updated this.  Guess not.

After all the pupae eclosed, I put them into hibernation on Jan. 30.  They are still in hibernation enjoying a good nap.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#25 Offline dermy - Posted May 8 2015 - 7:20 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Some more Reverse-Hibernation? Sounds good! Hope they do well for you once they wake up!

#26 Offline Crystals - Posted July 23 2015 - 6:38 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

These were brought out of hibernation in the middle of May.

The larvae that had overwintered quickly started growing, and growing.  Most of the pupae are very large, possibly 3/4 of them are majors.

A few weeks out of hibernation the queen started laying eggs.  They keep them mostly in one clump.

DSC07802_zps1apskh92.jpg
DSC07775_zps469eut2q.jpg
DSC07776_zpsa865lf5s.jpg

• dermy likes this

My Colonies

#27 Offline dermy - Posted July 23 2015 - 11:23 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wow are they ever filling that thing up!

#28 Offline Crystals - Posted August 21 2015 - 7:08 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Some growth, they have all different stages of brood.

DSC07879_zpsjya2trwk.jpg
DSC07878_zpskfjvsiu9.jpg

I usually feed this colony with drops of nectar, and since I was going away I put in a feeder.  The way they swarmed it, I suspect that they really missed their old feeder and I may have not been offering enough.  They drained it in 4 days, and all ants in the nest have distended gasters now.

DSC07817_zps1v1fxpfy.jpg

Turns out they seem to like those little meat pieces from Friskies cat food.  This was the first (and thus far, only) time I offered them this.  Usually the dog cleans the cats leftovers before I get to them.

DSC07833_zpskvxwhhmy.jpg

• dermy and TennesseeAnts like this

My Colonies

#29 Offline dermy - Posted August 21 2015 - 7:36 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wow that is a lot of brood! They are going to be eating a lot soon when those larvae start growing more! :D

#30 Offline Crystals - Posted September 28 2015 - 6:26 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The pupae in the previous picture have eclosed, and the larvae have grown a bit and have stopped growing.  The larvae now sit in a cooler part of the nest.  All of the workers have heavily distended gasters.  Which means they are ready for hibernation.

I will give them lots of protein this week since there are still 8 or so workers in the foraging area, then into the wine cooler they will go.

Update: They are in hibernation as of October 5, 2015.

• dermy likes this

My Colonies

#31 Offline Crystals - Posted October 14 2015 - 7:58 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Barely into hibernation one week and what do I see when I glance into the cooler today? (glass doors are great for idle checks)  One or two small workers roaming around the cooler.  Unusual, but not the first time, I originally figured it was one of the extra Camponotus herculeanus colonies that were about due to come out.  They sometimes slip out if the lid isn't on tight in the one type of container.  I ignored them, hoping they would eventually hang out on the cotton plugging the test tube that they belonged to.  Terrible to stick them into the wrong colony, and I have 7 or 8 of that species in hibernation right now, most with under 10 workers.

I came back later that evening to see more ants out - including several huge majors.  That is not good, majors can't squeeze out of anything.  And I have only one colony with majors that large - this colony.

I grabbed my trusty featherweight tweezers and a dusted escape proof bin and grabbed every loose worker I saw in the cooler - 12 in total.  Carefully pulled out the nest to see that they chewed through a 3/4" cotton plug in the main entrance.  Removed the now-useless cotton and quickly replaced it with a new cotton ball. 

Do you need to get by entrance guards to stuff 10 workers inside a piece of tubing?  Distract them - throw in a 3/4 dead mealworm.  It keeps most of them busy.  I managed to get them all inside the tubing without incident and plugged the entrance behind them.

I found a small test tube that just barely fit over the tubing and filled it 1/4 full of hummingbird nectar.  Quickly removed the cotton and capped the tubing with the test tube, leaving about 1/2" of room in front of the test tube cotton for turn around room.  They may chew threw cotton, but not through glass or vinyl tubing.  Now they can get snacks and cannot escape. 

I will have to make a mental note to do this for all larger colonies...  I did it last year for most colonies in case they ran out of reserves, they had so many fat workers this year I wasn't worried and didn't cap the tubing with test tubes. Lesson learnt. 

Now I just hope they don't realize that the side entrance is only plugged with cotton, although I only use that entrance to move the colony and they have never chewed on it.  I doubt they even realize that it is a potential exit.

My Colonies

#32 Offline Crystals - Posted January 15 2016 - 8:28 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I went to pull them out of hibernation and the queen and about 50 workers were dead.

Not sure why so many died, I have never had this kind of problem in hibernation before.  I suspect that the corner they were in dried out a bit too much.

I will keep the workers, and when the queens fly in May/June I will see if they will accept a new queen or two.

In the past I introduced 1-3 workers to a workerless queen and they accepted her.  These were workers who had been without a queen for over 4 months, and they all accepted a new queen.  It worked as long as the new queen was without workers - otherwise her workers (even if it was just one small nanitic) would try to fight off the "invaders".  I did remove the lone nanitic and the queen accepted the 18 new workers (when I tried to re-introduce the nanitic after a few days, she kept trying to pull the workers out, so I ended up removing the nanitic).

My Colonies

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 16 2016 - 1:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well that sucks.

#34 Offline Miles - Posted January 16 2016 - 11:58 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Are you absolutely sure they are dead? Camponotus ants often curl up and look like they are dead during hibernation, and can take as long as a week to wake back up.

• Barristan likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#35 Offline dermy - Posted January 17 2016 - 3:42 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've heard about this too, don't throw them out just yet, put in some water [moisture] and let them sit for a bit checking on them. Maybe offer them some liquids too :D

#36 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2016 - 8:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm guessing Crystal has enough experience with hibernating Camponotus that she probably already knows this.

#37 Offline Miles - Posted January 17 2016 - 9:49 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

I'm guessing Crystal has enough experience with hibernating Camponotus that she probably already knows this.

That would be my expectation too, but I think it's better to play it safe than sorry and make sure she does.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#38 Offline antmaniac - Posted January 17 2016 - 5:17 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Check for the heartbeat. On a serious note, sorry for your lost.

#39 Offline Crystals - Posted January 18 2016 - 7:36 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I know that Camponotus can curl up during hibernation and can take up to 5 days to wake in extreme circumstances.  The queen sometimes takes longer than her workers.

But she has not moved for over a week and all of the workers are up and about.

I will keep the workers and see if I can get them to accept a new queen when they fly this spring.

My Colonies

#40 Offline Miles - Posted January 18 2016 - 9:46 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crystals, carpenter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users