• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formicarium for brachymyrmex...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted May 29 2019 - 9:23 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
I was looking for ideas on what kind of formicarium use to house a colony of Brachymyrmex, while I will love to make my own I want to start with something that is already tested and functional to warranty a higher level of success for my first colony before trying to play Dr. Frankenstein of formicariums!

After reading for a while and checking websites I'm inclined to try the Fallen Fortess from Tar Heel Ants as my main choice, it's small enough and attractive to be showcased... I was looking too at the OmniNest from AC or similar design but I'm not sure how good will be for a small size ant like the Brachymyrmex (I saw some cheap acrylic ones on eBay but I'm concerned about how solid/tight the construction of the formicarium is VS small ants)...

What do you think? It's the fortress a good choice or should I pick a different design?

Thanks!

Edited by MrUrrutia, May 29 2019 - 9:25 AM.

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 29 2019 - 10:03 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

wild brachymyrmex here tend to have a large central chamber where all the brood and queens are

#3 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted May 29 2019 - 10:57 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
I notice on most of the videos that Brachymyrmex likes that, that is why I'm leaning towards the fortress design, for what I see they designed it with a large chamber on the bottom of the nest where the water reservoir is located and then it branches upward to a few medium size chambers... I feel that will fit fine a small starting colony and can be connected on the future when needed to a second formicarium without problem.

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#4 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 29 2019 - 12:53 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

If you are looking at THA for a small colony a Casita would do great i have one but i haven't put any large colonies in it just small ones but they do great in it a Casita is my recommendation

#5 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted May 29 2019 - 1:16 PM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Can you interconnect the Casita one to other in order to expand the area?

-The First History Man

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 3:57 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
If, according to ponerinecat, they like a large, central chamber, you could go with the Hearth formicarium, by THA.

Edited by NickAnter, May 29 2019 - 3:57 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users