• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solonopsis Invicta colony kicking queens out after move?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antdoggy - Posted July 15 2017 - 3:10 PM

Antdoggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I have a small colony maybe 20-30 ants now, When I started this colony it was 2 test tubes with 3 queens each, I moved them into a small atom nest and they all moved the brood in togeather

Now everyday a queen will just be wondering outside the atom nest in the outworld and eventually it dies, are these ants better off with 1 queen? should I stop adding new queens that I find? There is now only 1 queen in the atom nest

http://imgur.com/a/C6fe3

Edited by Antdoggy, July 15 2017 - 3:10 PM.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 15 2017 - 6:49 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Yes, they are monogyne and only accept one queen shortly after the first nanitic workers arrive.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted July 16 2017 - 1:26 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Solenoposis invicta can found with multiple queens - actually they are actively raiding neighboring colonies, transporting all the brood, workers and even queen into their nest. This can lead to a massive colony with a ridiculous amount of queens (one colony was reported to have raided 50 nests over a time of 3 months and accumulated 50+ queens and thousands of workers), but sooner or later most fire ant colonies will dispatch any but one single queen.

There are strains of polygynous Solenopsis invicta though but they can only be found in certain areas.

Edited by Serafine, July 16 2017 - 1:26 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline Antdoggy - Posted July 16 2017 - 12:40 PM

Antdoggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Yes, they are monogyne and only accept one queen shortly after the first nanitic workers arrive.

Solenoposis invicta can found with multiple queens - actually they are actively raiding neighboring colonies, transporting all the brood, workers and even queen into their nest. This can lead to a massive colony with a ridiculous amount of queens (one colony was reported to have raided 50 nests over a time of 3 months and accumulated 50+ queens and thousands of workers), but sooner or later most fire ant colonies will dispatch any but one single queen.

There are strains of polygynous Solenopsis invicta though but they can only be found in certain areas.

in the wild do the queens who leave just die? Or are they able to make colonies?

And just to be clear this means I should give up on adding queens for good right? The last remaining queen still has her wings attached but I'm pretty sure she is egg laying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users