• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fluon not stopping Crematogaster

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2019 - 4:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I took another lid I had and cut out a middle section, so I can apply fluon to the overhanging lip plus let out humidity. I’ll see if that stops these Peter Parker ants. Damn.
  • Acutus likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#22 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 1 2019 - 7:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have no luck with Crematogaster and any barrier. I just deal with escapees. My colony has enough workers as so it doesn't matter anymore. :lol:

#23 Offline Barristan - Posted June 1 2019 - 8:04 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I have no luck with Crematogaster and any barrier. I just deal with escapees. My colony has enough workers as so it doesn't matter anymore. :lol:

I had a huge Crematogaster scutellaris colony. I used liquid paraffin which I applied to a small glass lid on top of the outworld.

The main problem later isn't that you have fewer ants but that the colony might decide to move out of your formicarium completely and build a new nest in a room in your house ;)

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 2 2019 - 1:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I had a huge Crematogaster scutellaris colony. I used liquid paraffin which I applied to a small glass lid on top of the outworld.

The main problem later isn't that you have fewer ants but that the colony might decide to move out of your formicarium completely and build a new nest in a room in your house ;)
Yes, and paying a divorce lawyer...

Edited by ANTdrew, June 2 2019 - 1:52 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Kahldris and Acutus like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m going to tentatively say that I solved the problem with the cut-out lid. They can’t climb upside down on fluon. One has to be in awe of their climbing ability really.

#26 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 3 2019 - 1:16 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Well, my C. scutellaris keep trying, until they wear the fluon down in a tiny corridor. Scouts must be leaving a pheromone trail that others follow, even after they fall off the fluon lid. I added a steel mesh, and there are always a few hanging out on it (upside down). They would be escapees if it weren't for the mesh.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users