• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are Formica pacifica Known to Mate in The Nest?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 8:08 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Hi all!

My mature Formica pacifica colony has been producing alates this year. Today my friend noted a dead male in the trash pile, and a female alate that is phsiogastric, and without her wings... The original queen is still in her queen's nest (a THA discus).

Any suggestions?

#2 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted May 23 2019 - 2:02 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

If you captured the colony from the wild, there's a chance that you got 2 queens without realizing it.

#3 Offline AntsBC - Posted May 23 2019 - 2:28 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

I would assume that the male died of natural causes, and the alate queen just ripped off her wings, like many captive alates do. Formica pacifica are normally physogastric, so just because her gaster size is changing, it doesn't mean she's mated. 

I highly doubt they mated because, 1) Mating season for Formica pacifica colonies is still at least a month away, 2) Brother and sister alates rarely, practically never, mate inside their nest, and 3) Formica pacifica queens can be pleometrophic, but in my experience, colonies are never polygynous.

It's hard enough to get unrelated male and female alates to mate in a captive environment, let alone brother and sisters. The chances of them mating are next to zero.

So, I am suggesting that all of what you said is just one big coincidence. 

Sorry if I bursted your bubble, I'm just not the type to give someone false hope by telling them something that's not true. If both queens end up spitting out eggs, great, you proved me wrong, but unfortunately, the odds are stacked pretty high against you scientifically

I must admit, a polygynous Formica pacifica colony would definitely be pretty cool, I just think in this case it's not very likely.

Edited by AntsBC, May 23 2019 - 2:30 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Somethinghmm like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2019 - 4:29 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I'm actually really glad they only have one queen. The rate they are growing at, they will reach 10000 workers by October. Don't need that number to double. And this is a completely captive raised colony. I caught the queen in June of 2016. I was leaning toward it being coincidence, and am glad it was.

P.s. I have gotten polygynous F. pacifica colonies before. :)
  • Somethinghmm likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users