• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brachymyrmex sp becoming "invasive"?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 11 2015 - 9:26 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

At least in my apartment complex, what I believe to be Brachymyrmex patagonicus (they are definitely a black variety of Brachymyrmex though)...they have taken over HUGE areas inside the complex.

The Argentine ant workers run away from them, usually injured and die later on. Brachymyrmex have entered Argentine ant nests in one area and driven them out. They are very aggressive to other ants, too. They are all over the place, expanding to great amounts. However, Brachymyrmex tend to leave larger colonies of Solenopsis alone and the Dorymyrmex bicolor colony seems to be mostly left alone too.

From my understanding, Brachymyrmex don't tend to be so aggressive and a lot smaller colonies. Down in San Diego, they were barely populated and had very small colonies. They ignored the Argentine ants down there. But, here in my apartment complex in Irvine...they really dominate. The only place Argentine ants see any "victory" is down by the river, but everywhere inside the complex they lose to mostly the Brachymyrmex. This year, the Brachymyrmex have expanded even more and dominate the pool areas where the Argentine ants used to dominate.

Anyone else see any of this with Brachymyrmex?

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 12 2015 - 4:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I swear i remember AntCzar mentioning something about Brachymyrmex fighting Argentine ants on his porch in Menifee, CA and winning.

#3 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted March 12 2015 - 8:15 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

This is interesting, especially given that B. patagonicus do not form supercolonies and tend to be monogynous.  They are also thought to be quite timid when competing with other ants.  I wonder if their dominance in this situation has to do with some sort of pheromonal trickery.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users