• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Hypoponera sp. Journal (DISCONTINUED)

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I found the other one; she is doing just fine!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#42 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2019 - 3:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, I can't find h er now, and when I watered the setup, and added twenty or so springtails, she did not come up.  I am going t discontinue the journal because I think that se dehydrated, even though there was lots of condensation.  :ugone2far: 

Edited by NickAnter, June 5 2019 - 3:56 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#43 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 16 2019 - 1:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, I found two more queens in my pool, so the journal is recontinued  One is much bigger than the other, and has red on it.  Bth have springtails in their setups.  Hopefully these will be successful.

#44 Offline Samuelp.1 - Posted June 16 2019 - 2:52 PM

Samuelp.1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Lucky, try to post some pics! :)

Species i'm Keeping:

Camponotus Floridanus, Camponotus Tortuganus, Brachymyrmex Obscurior, Unidentified species, Tetramorium Bicarinatum, Cyphomyrmex Rimosus,

Dorymyrmex Bureni, Hypoponera Sp, Pheidole navigans, Pheidole megacephala, Solenopsis Invicta, Cardiocondyla Venustula, Cardiocondyla Sp,

Cardiocondyla minutior.

Unidentified species of Termites.

#45 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 16 2019 - 5:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I will, but in like five days, as I do not want to disturb them, they are very finnicky.

#46 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 16 2019 - 6:10 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

likely two different species

#47 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 17 2019 - 5:13 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Tht is what I am thinking as well.

#48 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 17 2019 - 10:55 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

hypoponera are very similar in size among the same species.

#49 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 17 2019 - 11:40 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have about 10 of these queens just from under rocks. Under the same rock, I found a Ponera sp. queen, and a Brachyponera chinensis queen!

#50 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 17 2019 - 2:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Lucky!  Hopefully yours will be more successful than mine have been.  Also, I think the larger one is true opacior, while the other isn't.  Maybe opaciceps.

#51 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2019 - 6:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, neither are nesting in the holes I dug for them, but instead under debris, like leaf pieces.  I will probably put some more springtails in there tomorrow.  Once I put about twenty or so in each setup, I will leave them alone for a week.  Hopefully they will lay eggs eventually, as I have read it can take up to four months for them to lay!  Hopefully I will be able to see the eggs as well, but that is doubtful. It is very hard to see under leaf pieces that have dirt over them. :ugone2far:   I would like to find more and put them in a formicarium in which I can see them easily.  Hopefully on the next warm and humid day, I will find more.

#52 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 19 2019 - 12:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, neither are nesting in the holes I dug for them, but instead under debris, like leaf pieces.  I will probably put some more springtails in there tomorrow.  Once I put about twenty or so in each setup, I will leave them alone for a week.  Hopefully they will lay eggs eventually, as I have read it can take up to four months for them to lay!  Hopefully I will be able to see the eggs as well, but that is doubtful. It is very hard to see under leaf pieces that have dirt over them. :ugone2far:   I would like to find more and put them in a formicarium in which I can see them easily.  Hopefully on the next warm and humid day, I will find more.

Best to let them do what they want. these ants are very sensitive, and the best formicarium I had was where they nested right against the plastic lid and you could clearly see all the brood and activity. Easiest way to do this is to wait till the colony gets large enough.

#53 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 25 2019 - 6:43 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Both are dead.

#54 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 7:46 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
What I do with these is put all of them in a test tube with some dirt or sand

#55 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 25 2019 - 7:51 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Are you in Florida? I see small ponerines almost nightly I could send to you

#56 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 8:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
He's in Cali.

#57 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 25 2019 - 9:36 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I put them in a snap cap vial filled with sand, with a cotton ball at the very bottom, to preserve hydration. I also provide springtails, and some heat. Also, Superfrank, what time of night so you catch the small ponerines?

Edited by NickAnter, December 4 2020 - 4:27 PM.

#58 Offline Samuelp.1 - Posted June 28 2019 - 11:28 AM

Samuelp.1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have 2 queens and i have them together and they're okay, i have seen eggs like 1 or 2 its hard to see them, i put a dead brachy outside and they took her in and now they closed the entry of their nest, i hope they open it again so they can get out and look for food.

Species i'm Keeping:

Camponotus Floridanus, Camponotus Tortuganus, Brachymyrmex Obscurior, Unidentified species, Tetramorium Bicarinatum, Cyphomyrmex Rimosus,

Dorymyrmex Bureni, Hypoponera Sp, Pheidole navigans, Pheidole megacephala, Solenopsis Invicta, Cardiocondyla Venustula, Cardiocondyla Sp,

Cardiocondyla minutior.

Unidentified species of Termites.

#59 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 30 2019 - 4:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Found another one in my pool this morning, at around 7:00. She unlike the previous queens, went into the starter hole.

#60 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 2 2019 - 7:57 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

She drowned herself in condensation.  :facepalm: :ugone2far: (n)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users