• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ark's Dolichoderus plagiatus journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted April 3 2022 - 11:20 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

Hello all, and welcome to my D. plagiatus journal.

I've been putting off starting this journal for a while now, for several reasons. Firstly, I didn't think any of the queens I collected would actually end up laying and producing fertile brood. For all I know, I'm the first one to attempt founding these guys with any success. There are 4 species of Dolichoderus native to Massachusetts. Mariae, taschenbergi, pustulatus, and of course, plagiatus. They are all understudied in terms of their founding tendencies. Mariae & taschenbergi are thought to be temporary parasites, although that is not 100% confirmed to be the case. Any information here is subject to change as we learn more about them in the future. In terms of plagiatus in particular, we know next to nothing. I was advised to collect workers to boost the queens with and see where it went from there. We didn't know if they were polygynous or monogynous, fully or semi claustral, or even capable of founding alone. So I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing.

Collection Notes | June 26th 2021 | Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Relatively cool day, low 70's with sparse cloud cover. I was biking through a mixed forest with a dense scrub oak layer that went to about chest height. Queens were out and about foraging on these scrub oak leaves. They were actually extremely agile and hard to collect, and they had an EXTREMELY annoying habit of just literally jumping off whatever leaf they were on, and directly into the leaf litter whenever any potential "predator" got near them, ei., my collection vial. I was able to collect 4 in the end, but I may have seen upwards of a dozen.

https://imgur.com/a/ozjbXU5

After collection, I tried a different method of founding with all the queens. I combined two queens to found together, and gave them a worker boost. Another one was given a worker boost, but would be founding solo. The last queen was to be treated as a solo semi claustral, with no worker boost. Boosting with pupae rather than workers would be preferable, but their nests are extremely inconspicuous and difficult to find. Fortunately, foraging workers were abundant.

https://imgur.com/a/OV27eaj

After a day, all the queens who had workers introduced to them were being bullied by the workers, and I promptly removed them. Additionally, the duo was not cooperating whatsoever, and they were separated. They later died presumably to the initial injuries suffered from the boosted workers. That left us with one queen left, the semi-claustral attempt. To my disbelief, she actually laid after a week or so and appeared to be caring for the eggs.

https://imgur.com/a/zQ04RTB

Unfortunately, this was the end of my success, as she would then continuously eat her brood until diapause. The furthest she ever got was a pre-pupae, which was towards the end of 2021. Thankfully this pre-pupae appeared to be of a worker so she is supposedly fertile. I put her through diapause and she currently has a nice little batch of eggs. Fingers crossed she is able to pull through this time and get some worker force going. I think after she gets her first nanitics they should be pretty easygoing, but the getting over the initial hump is going to be difficult. Any tips or suggestions are welcome, thanks for reading if you made it all the way here :)

New pictures will follow in a month or so if her brood is progressing. Stay tuned

• CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01, ZTYguy and 3 others like this

#2 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 3 2022 - 1:32 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Hello all, and welcome to my D. plagiatus journal.

I've been putting off starting this journal for a while now, for several reasons. Firstly, I didn't think any of the queens I collected would actually end up laying and producing fertile brood. For all I know, I'm the first one to attempt founding these guys with any success. There are 4 species of Dolichoderus native to Massachusetts. Mariae, taschenbergi, pustulatus, and of course, plagiatus. They are all understudied in terms of their founding tendencies. Mariae & taschenbergi are thought to be temporary parasites, although that is not 100% confirmed to be the case. Any information here is subject to change as we learn more about them in the future. In terms of plagiatus in particular, we know next to nothing. I was advised to collect workers to boost the queens with and see where it went from there. We didn't know if they were polygynous or monogynous, fully or semi claustral, or even capable of founding alone. So I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing.

Collection Notes | June 26th 2021 | Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Relatively cool day, low 70's with sparse cloud cover. I was biking through a mixed forest with a dense scrub oak layer that went to about chest height. Queens were out and about foraging on these scrub oak leaves. They were actually extremely agile and hard to collect, and they had an EXTREMELY annoying habit of just literally jumping off whatever leaf they were on, and directly into the leaf litter whenever any potential "predator" got near them, ei., my collection vial. I was able to collect 4 in the end, but I may have seen upwards of a dozen.

https://imgur.com/a/ozjbXU5

After collection, I tried a different method of founding with all the queens. I combined two queens to found together, and gave them a worker boost. Another one was given a worker boost, but would be founding solo. The last queen was to be treated as a solo semi claustral, with no worker boost. Boosting with pupae rather than workers would be preferable, but their nests are extremely inconspicuous and difficult to find. Fortunately, foraging workers were abundant.

https://imgur.com/a/OV27eaj

After a day, all the queens who had workers introduced to them were being bullied by the workers, and I promptly removed them. Additionally, the duo was not cooperating whatsoever, and they were separated. They later died presumably to the initial injuries suffered from the boosted workers. That left us with one queen left, the semi-claustral attempt. To my disbelief, she actually laid after a week or so and appeared to be caring for the eggs.

https://imgur.com/a/zQ04RTB

Unfortunately, this was the end of my success, as she would then continuously eat her brood until diapause. The furthest she ever got was a pre-pupae, which was towards the end of 2021. Thankfully this pre-pupae appeared to be of a worker so she is supposedly fertile. I put her through diapause and she currently has a nice little batch of eggs. Fingers crossed she is able to pull through this time and get some worker force going. I think after she gets her first nanitics they should be pretty easygoing, but the getting over the initial hump is going to be difficult. Any tips or suggestions are welcome, thanks for reading if you made it all the way here :)

New pictures will follow in a month or so if her brood is progressing. Stay tuned

First of all... I would like to serenade you with congratulations. These ants make incredible bivouacs during the spring time to warm up after hibernation. These ants are also highly understudied and I'm glad someone actually caught them and is getting some success with them! These are rare ants but where they're found they are very common. Supposedly from what one of my friends told me mariae and taschenbergi get super colonies so that's cool too. I wish you good luck with these ants! You are the first ever with a queen that is close to workers!

Edited by NicholasP, April 3 2022 - 1:37 PM.

• Antkeeper014, ZTYguy and United-Ants like this

#3 Offline United-Ants - Posted April 3 2022 - 6:59 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Good luck with the queen
  • Antkeeper014 likes this

#4 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted July 6 2022 - 10:27 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

Update | July 6th

Queen has passed away via an unknown cause. Hoping to get more this year, although I doubt I will be able to :(

#5 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 6 2022 - 11:53 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Sorry to hear she didn't make it, Dolichoderus is such an interesting and unique genus. Having read some of the research on D. mariae, I don't believe they are parasites, rather they are strictly supercolonial and queens are accepted directly back into the colony after mating. During the summer, mariae supercolonies will spread out and cover lots of the surrounding habitat around them, and then retreat to a few "mother nests" during the winter, repeating this cycle every year. A very odd and unique cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users